Rebuilt 064

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
I saw a rebuilt 064 on Craigslist for $700. The fella put a Cross Perfomance 066 Top end conversion kit in it, which jumped it from the 52mm piston to a 54mm, which some of you know, some may not. I would be inclined to believe the jump in cc’s will be negligible on starting without a de-comp valve as well as the jump in power? Is this a common upgrade on 064? I know there are all sorts of mods/upgrades to be made from chainsaw to Diesel engines for more power but some turn the engine into a grenade in waiting. I suppose it depends on the rebuilder in some cases.

Hi
Myself i would not buy it unless it comes from someone who has a warranty.$700 for a saw that isn't OEM is expensive.Especially an older model.
The Cross performance top end has had it's share of failures.If you do the work yourself then it is a good cylinder to try.The company that introduced the Cross performance top end is very good about replacing the ones that have snagged a ring and busted the piston.But if you aren't the original purchaser....
Plus you could do damage to the rest of the saw if there are issues.
I have 3 064's they all run and i haven't spent $700 on all 3.They range in very ugly to very nice condition.I have a 066 that i thought about trying a Cross top end,then i started to read about the issues.I am going to wait till all the bugs and manufacturing issues have been worked out.
The 064 is an awesome saw,but getting old.For $700 dollars you can find a better saw.For the 064 that you are looking at it would have to be mint and the original top end would have to come with the saw before i would even consider $700.
And you have to ask why is there a new top end on the saw,and were the issues addressed that made the person fix it with aftermarket parts.
The Cross top end is being designed by HL Supply. One of the saw porters has had input to the porting and timing numbers.But the QC in China has been the issue.
If the Aftermaket top end has an issue then some of the prices for OEM parts will scare that pants off you.There is a good chance that unless you do your own work it could cost more than $700 to rebuild your saw if it grenades.
I work on my own saws and don't feel confident enough to use a Cross top end to sell.I have a flat top 066 that i want to sell and am having issues trying to decide if i should get a Meteor piston or OEM.Meteor pistons are very good quality,second to only OEM,but i want to sell the saw.

Reactions: JimBear
Hi
Myself i would not buy it unless it comes from someone who has a warranty.$700 for a saw that isn't OEM is expensive.Especially an older model.
The Cross performance top end has had it's share of failures.If you do the work yourself then it is a good cylinder to try.The company that introduced the Cross performance top end is very good about replacing the ones that have snagged a ring and busted the piston.But if you aren't the original purchaser....
Plus you could do damage to the rest of the saw if there are issues.
I have 3 064's they all run and i haven't spent $700 on all 3.They range in very ugly to very nice condition.I have a 066 that i thought about trying a Cross top end,then i started to read about the issues.I am going to wait till all the bugs and manufacturing issues have been worked out.
The 064 is an awesome saw,but getting old.For $700 dollars you can find a better saw.For the 064 that you are looking at it would have to be mint and the original top end would have to come with the saw before i would even consider $700.
And you have to ask why is there a new top end on the saw,and were the issues addressed that made the person fix it with aftermarket parts.
The Cross top end is being designed by HL Supply. One of the saw porters has had input to the porting and timing numbers.But the QC in China has been the issue.
If the Aftermaket top end has an issue then some of the prices for OEM parts will scare that pants off you.There is a good chance that unless you do your own work it could cost more than $700 to rebuild your saw if it grenades.
I work on my own saws and don't feel confident enough to use a Cross top end to sell.I have a flat top 066 that i want to sell and am having issues trying to decide if i should get a Meteor piston or OEM.Meteor pistons are very good quality,second to only OEM,but i want to sell the saw.
Not looking to purchase it, was just curious as to the upgrade. I am wanting a larger saw but just not feasible right now, I look at e-bay & craigslist to see what’s out there & price range. Didn’t really seem like much of a benefit to me but thought I would inquire with my brethren on here.

It’s on Craigslist Des Moines, as I am not technologically savvy enough to post a link.

I paid $500 for a completely OEM 064 with a known owner history and a brand new 28” Tsmura Total sprocket tip bar and two Stihl 33RS-91 chains from a saw shop with a warranty, four years ago. I’d not pay $700 for an aftermarket rebuild from an unknown builder with no warranty. He’s thinking that he put additional money and work into what should be a $400+ saw, but that’s his mistake.

Reactions: JimBear