reburn tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I've been looking at new stoves. The reburn tubes aren't connected to any tubes to bring in
air. I always thought the tubes brought in air and that is what causes the reburn. Some stoves have 2 vents one for the fire box one for the the tubes.
These stove I see only have one vent. So how do these reburn tubes work if the is no air going through them?

My basic understanding of the secondary burn process suggests that there is always an air supply to the secondary burn tubes - their purpose is to introduce heated air to the top of the firebox so that smoke and gases can burn. In my stove the secondary air supply vent is not easy to notice, in fact I can't recall where it is, although at one time I located it. Don't buy a stove without an air supply to the secondary burn tubes.

here is the schematic for my stove.... they have their own supply. It is unregulated and not adjustable by main air supply controls.

Attachments

• mansfield airflow.jpg
    mansfield airflow.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,169
Where the tubes enter on both sides of the stove, there is normally a channel that provides air. This allows the secondary air to get pre-heated before entering the firebox. Some models its a little harder to tell. But there is a channel of some type up there. They need air to do there job.

The 30-NC uses a channel in the back of the stove, then splits up top and runs down both sides. Where the air pulls from these channels.

Not necessarily "tubes" at all.
My stove has a secondary air inlet low on the rear of the stove, pretty well hidden under sheet-metal heat-shields. Air then goes through cast-iron pre-heater, which forms the back wall of the firebox. Then through further heating between formed sheet stainless (lower) & cast-iron baffle.
That stainless was formed into steps, incorporating two rows of discharge holes. Nary a tube there; works great.

The secondary manifold will have an air intake. Most of the time its location is discrete. It can share the primary air intake or it can be hidden in the back bottom of the stove, in a corner leg or in back, behind the rear heat shield.

Thanks for the help. I didn't want to go digging into the stove at the store. Just to find the secondary intake.
And the tubes looked like they dead ended into the sides of the stove. I'll have to look a little harder when I go back.
I've been looking at a United States Stove and a Pleasant Hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.