receiver for a 12volt winch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
Can a winch be mounted on a steel plate that is welded to a 2 by 2 trailer hitch and then slid into a receiver????? and used to pull logs from the rear of the truck /???

Will be pulling logs up a hill ???? using a skid???
Dont have a winch yet......need advice on kind of winch, specs. HF has an 8000 lb and a 3000 lb in their current ad.
I have a 1997. 4 wheel drive Suburban 1500 with a Reese 2 by2 trailer hitch.
This is for firewood that Hubby cuts and burn for our own use. We burn wood for main heat.
Would a portable one be any better and attach to a nearby tree ??
Any helpful l advice and suggestions ??? Please
Thank you
Jean

I have the HF 8000 lb winch. If you buy this model, make sure you keep an eye on the cable guide as the bolts that hold the rollers refuse to stay tight. I mounted it on the front bucket of my compact tractor. When winching a log up a hill, the blade digs in when the log snags. Otherwise, your vehicle would likely slide (in the direction of the log). This was with 24 inch diameter hardwood logs and a steep grade, would probably not be as much of an issue with smaller logs or flat ground.

I'm pretty sure that the ball was not made to be used like that. People have broken their balls that way.

Just know that most winches, especially the HF type, are not meant to be run non-stop all day. They are an intermittent use item and may heat up on you. So James, have you ever overheated a winch while pulling over and over?

I would love a removable winch mount like that for the big ford for a few reasons:

1) You can put the winch on the front or the back of the truck.
2) You can move the winch to a trailer or even just chained to a tree.
3) You can leave the winch at home or in the tool box to prevent someone stealing it and protect it from weather.
4) You can sell the truck but keep the winch.
5) A permanent winch mounted on a truck looks ugly.

I have been eyeballing that HF 8000lb winch for 319 on sale. The only thing is, the 10k model at 399$ has a roller fairlead and the 8000 lb does not.

The HF 8000 definitely got warm going up a grade with 24" diameter trees. I cut the big logs down to 10' and it was a lot happier. I bought the no questions asked 3 year warranty for somewhere around 50 bucks. Supposedly, you drop it off at the store and drive home with a new one.

Highbeam said:
I'm pretty sure that the ball was not made to be used like that. People have broken their balls that way.

Just know that most winches, especially the HF type, are not meant to be run non-stop all day. They are an intermittent use item and may heat up on you. So James, have you ever overheated a winch while pulling over and over?

I would love a removable winch mount like that for the big ford for a few reasons:

1) You can put the winch on the front or the back of the truck.
2) You can move the winch to a trailer or even just chained to a tree.
3) You can leave the winch at home or in the tool box to prevent someone stealing it and protect it from weather.
4) You can sell the truck but keep the winch.
5) A permanent winch mounted on a truck looks ugly.

I have been eyeballing that HF 8000lb winch for 319 on sale. The only thing is, the 10k model at 399$ has a roller fairlead and the 8000 lb does not.

I have only used it once to pull some logs off the trailer. (Bucket loader put them in there)
Im not planning on long pulls hardly ever, Its just a back saver for anything up to maybe 2' diameter, and less than 8 ft long. So far I havent had to use it so my experience is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.