Recent black firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
So the last 2 days or so my firebrick has been getting black. Until then the bricks were bright, maybe dark at the beginning of the burn cycle but pretty clean at the end. Same wood, burning pretty hot. Hit 600-650 before it started falling off but the bricks are staying dark.

Any ideas? Exterior chimney and been very cold so maybe even though the top is hot enough the sides are cool?

It's irritating.

Last edited:
The wood, always the wood. My moisture meter needed batteries so it was flaking out. Got new ones and decided to split a piece and see what the story is. Sure enough I'm into a badbatch. Must've been in a bad spot in the rack or something. This is 2 yr ash mind you.

I have to say this is an argument for a moisture meter. This is all the same wood and it looks and feels the same but the meter doesn't lie. Most is 20% give or take but a couple are 27%. Now if your lucky to be three years ahead well...but for $10 bucks its a no brainer to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.