Recent Papa Bear purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama2

Aug 9, 2014
Georgia
OH dear. Well I don't want to hijack anyone's post - but this is what I could find recent about a Fisher Papa Bear. I just found one in great condition for $200 and think this is a good deal? I don't think I can use it now, but saving it for a rainy day to be sure. Where would I go to find a flue kit and determine its safety for use/ how to install. We don't have our cabin yet, but as a good old cast iron stove is a dwindling resource I thought I'd take a leap of faith and get this now.

Welcome to the Forum;

I moved your post to it's own thread.
$200 is great for a Papa. You can double your money on it if you don't use it.
You should find the correct manual for it here; https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-stove-manuals-us.121743/

Basically two types of stainless chimney (if that is type flue you want) "Pack" which is a stainless liner inside with dense packed insulation around it, covered with an outer jacket. The other type is air cooled with insulation blanket wrapped around the stainless inner liner, a second stainless pipe is inside, with an air space to a third outer stainless pipe. They are lighter than "pack", but larger in diameter. Dura-Vent air cooled was the choice of Fisher dealers and made kits for Fisher. They are sold at Home Depot but are only stocked seasonally when it gets cold. (not the time to cut holes in roofs, I know) Follow the directions that come with the chimney to the letter and ask plenty of questions. Try to go with a ceiling support box and straight up near the center of cabin opposed to a "through the wall kit" that is much more expensive, and requires more chimney sections outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.