Recent PV Install - Long Island NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LI-Mini-Owner

Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hi All - I'm usually over in the Pellet forum, but here is my first for the Green Room. I finally got my PV system installed. First contractor I dealt with was a waste of time, but fortunately I got my deposit back. Although the delay cost me like $3K because my local utility rebate per KWH dropped over the intervening time.

I would have done this job myself, but the utility rebate required a professional install. The second contractor, Sun Nation Solar did a great job. If all goes as planned I’ll be looking at a 7 Year ROI.

Here are a couple of Pix. As you can see, I’ll have to remove that tree.

Carl

Attachments

• PA290008.jpg
    PA290008.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 332
  • PA110012 - Copy.jpg
    PA110012 - Copy.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 335
nice install. how much annual pv kw? what percentage of yearly kw use does it provide?

arrowe said:
nice install. how much annual pv kw? what percentage of yearly kw use does it provide?

I'm expecting 9,400 kwh/yr. That works out to 25 kwh/day, which is my average daily usage. So I should be right at the 100% mark. I've had the system for about 20 days and it has averaged 19kwh/day. It should do much better with the tree topped/removed.

Carl

That looks awesome. Do you think the time of year has much to do with it? We're about a month past the middle aren't we?

What did you have to lay out for cash?
What is your average price for KWH?

btuser said:
That looks awesome. Do you think the time of year has much to do with it? We're about a month past the middle aren't we?

What did you have to lay out for cash?
What is your average price for KWH?

The system was $46,300. Utility company rebate was $15,300. I put down $2,600. The balance is $28,350, for which I have a 12 month interest free loan, I'll pay part of the loan back with $14,300 of fed and state income tax credit.

That will make my total out of pocket the $2,600 initial deposit, plus $14,050 remainder balance on the loan, or $16,700.

My utility KWH cost .1837.

Nice looking system! Are the inverters/controllers the type where you tap on them and the display changes the information on the screen?

Super system, I'm jealous. What kind of panels did they install?

seige101 said:
Nice looking system! Are the inverters/controllers the type where you tap on them and the display changes the information on the screen?

The panels and inverters are SunPower. I think the inverters are re-branded Sunny Boys. Yes - you tap on the front to scroll through the data. It also has Data Loggers that connect to my home router to upload data to SunPower's site. I've got a login so that I can monitor the system from anywhere. Here is a screen shot of the web interface.

Carl

Attachments

• solar-screen-shot.png
    solar-screen-shot.png
    37 KB · Views: 291
Status
Not open for further replies.