Recent Scrounge...what is it ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
I was told Hickory
DSCN2067.jpg

and Beech
DSCN2069.jpg

What the heck is this ???.....it was Neon Green when first split
DSCN2065.jpg

Got more splittin' and stackin' to do....can't see the pile to the left...believe me, I'm about 1/3 thru the piles
DSCN2066.gif

Silver maple?, beech, black locust.

The first wood has bark that looks like it could be hickory - the bark could also be a couple of other things like White Oak - but the wide sapwood with dark heartwood look like hickory to me. The second looks like beech and the third looks like Black Locust. That is all some pretty high-end firewood.

Wood Duck said:
The first wood has bark that looks like it could be hickory - the bark could also be a couple of other things like White Oak - but the wide sapwood with dark heartwood look like hickory to me. The second looks like beech and the third looks like Black Locust. That is all some pretty high-end firewood.

+1

Beech,and osage orange my opinion bark not thick enough for BL. Just picked up a crap load of Osage,bark and color identical.

ohlongarm said:
Beech,and osage orange my opinion bark not thick enough for BL. Just picked up a crap load of Osage,bark and color identical.

Hmm, I don't think osage orange grows this far north though. If it does I'd love to grab some though - just to compare it with stuff I have burned.

variabLEE said:
Wood Duck said:

+1
+2 Hickory is pignut.

that last photo is mullberry. hedge ( osage orange) is yellow pretty much all the way out to the bark.

1 Hickory or white oak
2 beech
3 (don't think locust,) grain looks soft, chestnut maybe. No idea what it is, pretty sure not locust.

So, the last one....if it is Osage Orange, or Mullberry....what can I expect as far as BTU's ???

Ditto on the pignut for the first. Second beech, Third is mulberry or some kind of berry for the rich heart. Pignut is no fun to split! Stringy.

Beer,

How much wood you got in the yard there man? You makin crop circles with all those piles? :lol:

Gasifier said:
Beer,

How much wood you got in the yard there man? You makin crop circles with all those piles? :lol:
According to the Wife, I have too much wood....then she saw what I brought home....not happy. I was trying to seperate the different spieces of wood, thats why there are piles everywhere.....Hickry, Maple, Oak, Cherry, Ash, and now some Osage Orange.....

#3 Looks like Mulberry to me. I see the color as more gold than green. Bark looks about right for a fairly old Mulberry and has the very slight olive tinge. For btu's it's basically up there with Oak & hard Maple. Great stuff.
If it is Osage Orange, then it's even better, generally regarded as the higest btu wood you'll find.

Great score all around

midwestcoast said:
#3 Looks like Mulberry to me. I see the color as more gold than green. Bark looks about right for a fairly old Mulberry and has the very slight olive tinge. For btu's it's basically up there with Oak & hard Maple. Great stuff.
If it is Osage Orange, then it's even better, generally regarded as the higest btu wood you'll find.

Great score all around
That is what I was hoping for.....I did end up leaving a little of it behind (no room in the truck), which I don't like to do, but I wasn't sure what it was or how good it was to burn......I think I'm at the point where I can get a little picky on the wood I scrounge....a little ;-)

Beer Belly said:
midwestcoast said:

Great score all around
That is what I was hoping for.....I did end up leaving a little of it behind (no room in the truck), which I don't like to do, but I wasn't sure what it was or how good it was to burn......I think I'm at the point where I can get a little picky on the wood I scrounge....a little ;-)
Ya think? Looks like you have a lot of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.