Recently cut cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of simple curiosity, I'm burning cherry right now that was cut and split one month ago. Its throwing great heat. My stove is running ~ 650. I didn't think i'd get this much out of it SO soon.

this typical?

Cherry is certainly one of the fastest to dry, but a month is real quick! Was the tree down for a long time, or dead? That might help a little. No hissing or water leaving the splits as it burns? Do you have to leave the air open a lot to keep the wood burning? Cheers!

Yea I agree a month is quick, I had some green cherry that I CSS by April 1st and it was 18% in Sept.

Standing, alive and had some leaves still. Cut down, rounds. No hissing and not any extra work to get it to burn real nice. Its been 1.5 hours since that load of splits were loaded....still pretty hot ~ 575-600.

I don't ever remember cherry hissing. We used to cut cherry at deer camp and burn it right away and it was live cherry that we cut. So it can be done....but not recommended. Burn it if you must but do keep an eye on the chimney.

I bucked and stacked a blown down Cherry and split it fairly small. It was mid to upper 20s MC. It's been about six months in the stack. Some splits hiss a little or some wetness is visible on a small part of the split end. Burning fine, though, lights right up. Still burning it a lot, since it has been warmer than normal.
I'd think that burning like that after only a month would be the exception to the rule...

Yep, Cherry is good stuff, dry when cut and drys fast. One month is really quick, but under the right circumstances, doesn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.