1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Recessed lights clearances....

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Swedishchef, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Disregard, I was able to get ahold of the company. They said that as long as it is not fiberglass, it can touch the light pot. IE a latte or a joist. I will still do my best to keep it 1 inch away. Damn those halogen lights!
  3. seige101

seige101 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Palmer, MA
    The forum ate the link to the specific product you linked to. It may be different up north where you are but, cans should be IC rated when in contact with insulation. They will have a thermal cutout that will shut off in an over heating situation
  4. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
  5. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    If you have not purchased already, maybe get ICAT (insulation contact air tight) rated cans instead. Down here Halo is an inexpensive and widely available brand. You can also get LED units to fit that put out only a fraction the heat of halogens and are coming down to reasonable prices now.

I'm surprised they say its ok for a wood joist to touch the pot if fiberglass is a no-no. Wood is flammable. FG is not :)
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Anything other than ICAT cans is a mistake. Unless there is something about those firetrap heat wasting non ICAT cans you like a whole lot then skip them.
  7. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Broad sweeping generalizations, love 'em. I'd hope the application matters, somehow? I'm currently installing 30 +/- non-IC Halo cans in my basement where there is no insulation above. I'm not sure anybody could ever convince me that spending 50%-100% more for an ICAT can would ever be money well spent in this case. My two cents only...or should I say $6.00 per non-IC can.
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I like the generalizations and I do not see how application matters in this case. I'd still use the superior ICAT can in a basement ceiling. Cost is only a few dollars more and you get a better and safer product.
  9. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Unfortunately it is too late....I also live in a small town and there's not much choice...agh