Recessed lights clearances....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disregard, I was able to get ahold of the company. They said that as long as it is not fiberglass, it can touch the light pot. IE a latte or a joist. I will still do my best to keep it 1 inch away. Damn those halogen lights!

The forum ate the link to the specific product you linked to. It may be different up north where you are but, cans should be IC rated when in contact with insulation. They will have a thermal cutout that will shut off in an over heating situation

If you have not purchased already, maybe get ICAT (insulation contact air tight) rated cans instead. Down here Halo is an inexpensive and widely available brand. You can also get LED units to fit that put out only a fraction the heat of halogens and are coming down to reasonable prices now.

I'm surprised they say its ok for a wood joist to touch the pot if fiberglass is a no-no. Wood is flammable. FG is not :)

Anything other than ICAT cans is a mistake. Unless there is something about those firetrap heat wasting non ICAT cans you like a whole lot then skip them.

Anything other than ICAT cans is a mistake. Unless there is something about those firetrap heat wasting non ICAT cans you like a whole lot then skip them.

Broad sweeping generalizations, love 'em. I'd hope the application matters, somehow? I'm currently installing 30 +/- non-IC Halo cans in my basement where there is no insulation above. I'm not sure anybody could ever convince me that spending 50%-100% more for an ICAT can would ever be money well spent in this case. My two cents only...or should I say $6.00 per non-IC can.

I like the generalizations and I do not see how application matters in this case. I'd still use the superior ICAT can in a basement ceiling. Cost is only a few dollars more and you get a better and safer product.

Status
Not open for further replies.