Rechargable batteries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromehdmc

Mar 1, 2009
Kansas City
I've bought some cheap rechargeable batteries in the past and have never been too happy with the performance. Can anyone suggest any good brands. I mostly use AA for the remotes, mouse, keyboard, flashlight and such.

Thanks Larry

I've had very good luck with the Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries.

I have been VERY impressed with Duracell AA rechargables. I use 2,000 mAh NiMH in my digital camera. You can get batteries that hold at least 2,600 mAh now.

I am currently using the Enerloops, Sonys, and Titanium with success. Have some La Crosse Tech batteries, but one just failed me for some reason. Seems to be an open circuit now, won't charge.

The secret to rechargeables is a top notch charger. Maha makes one of the best. It "conditions" old batteries that won't take a charge (new ones as well), and reads each battery separately and optimizes the charge cycle for that individual unit. I got my son a Maha for Christmas, along with about 16 of their AA PowerEx batteries and he loves them.

I really like the Rayovac IC-3 batteries because they charge in 15 minutes using their charger. Not the most powerful or long lasting, but I carry the charger on trips and can always have a fresh set in no time. I also charge them in my car with a cheapie 400W inverter as a power source. I'm gonna put a Maha on my Xmas list, along with about two dozen batteries.

I have a couple of the Duracell 2650 mah batteries, but I have a less than good charger. It's a Digipower DPS 1800, I think I got it a couple years ago with some cheaper batteries. I'll try and look for a better charger.

I have a Maha, which I gave to my son. It is a good charger. Now I am using a La Crosse BC 900 which provides more options for the charge, more data on the battery state and can charge individual batteries independently.

BeGreen said:
I have a Maha, which I gave to my son. It is a good charger. Now I am using a La Crosse BC 900 which provides more options for the charge, more data on the battery state and can charge individual batteries independently.

Yeah, read of the La Crosse in my search. I just checked them out and I am concerned about this:

This review is from: La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger (Kitchen)

I bought this unit over a different product because it had batteries included Unfortunately some of the batteries arrived unable to be charged by the charger. The reason being if a rechargeable battery drops below .9volt then this charger can't sense it to begin charging it.

I contacted Lacrosse tech support which requires you to first wait on hold, then finally give the "agent" your phone and email for a tech to contact you at their convenience. The Tech's email response was what I mentioned above. My reply was that I shouldn't have to buy another charger to charge the batteries to work with the charger I just bought from them! I never got a response to this reply for nearly 2 weeks.

I finally called customer support and requested to talk to someone verbally that day. They re-iterated that the batteries weren't defective but just couldn't be sensed by the charger if they were under .9volts. They did however offer to send 2 replacement AA batteries though which is why I kept the unit and didn't return it.

So, in the end it appears LaCrosse is trying to resolve the problem. But BUYER BEWARE. If your rechargeables are under .9v then you must use a different charger to charge them to that voltage before this charger can "sense" the battery and charge it fully.

Have you experienced this problem? I don't know if I ever draw my batts below .9V since I rarely check the voltage. Only time I do that is when I find loose batteries hanging around and can't recall if they were charged or not. I think most of my devices crap out before they get that low, so it may be a moot point.

You probably had the old original rechargables Not Nimh Nickel Metral hydride but Nicd Nickel Cadmium Your right they were not too good.

jeromehdmc said:
I mostly use AA for the remotes, mouse, keyboard, flashlight and such.

Thanks Larry

I use Energizer, Polaroid, Olympus, and a few others. I don't notice any real difference between them. I use an inexpensive Energizer charger. I'm kind of tempted by a more advanced charger, but the batteries are so cheap.

The thing to keep in mind with NiMH batteries is they will loose their charge fairly quickly. They probably loose about half their charge in 30 days. For this reason, they're not so good for things like remotes, mice, and keyboards.

I love them in flashlights -- I just need to remember to charge them about once a month. They're the best choice for digital cameras and digital audio recorders too.

One thing iv found is with those new 15 and 30 minute chargers, they make the battery too hot ,you could fry eggs on it, and it will wear out very quickly soon giving you the fast flashing light indicating a defective battery. Dont throw them away after that just use an overnight charger and they will work just fine. I dont use the fast charger anymore just the overnight one.

Status
Not open for further replies.