Recipe. What Yours for the snow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Snowing pretty good winds are picking up.. recipe. 15-20 lber of White oak, 4 med split of mulberry, 4 med splits's of apple, once going good add cookies of hickory mix with big shovel as need and sit back and watch it snow!

Snow hitting tonight so I think i will be working from home tomorrow. My recipe will be:

- 1/2 slightly underseasoned mic of locust, maple and ash
- 1/4 3 yr old large chunks of Beech
- 1/4 2 yr old Norway Maple

smokinjay said:
Snowing pretty good winds are picking up.. recipe. 15-20 lber of White oak, 4 med split of mulberry, 4 med splits's of apple, once going good add cookies of hickory mix with big shovel as need and sit back and watch it snow!

Cherry all day long then sugar maple starting at 7:00 pm if the weather is cold enough. Next year for the colder weather we will have some nice dry ironwood, almost forgot about the beech.

zap

Shorts and ugly's are on tap for the storm during the day. Since I am home tomorrow I like tinkering with the stove. I make it a habbit to load up a nice plastic bin that holds about four loads of wood with shorts. If I am going to load-er-up the menue would consist of two 6+lb cherry rounds on the outside bottom...Locust in the middle bottom...Locust over the bottom layer as described.

That reminds me...I have to get my jerkey ready for smoking tomorrow. The good ole' Brinkman electric smoker. 20-30 deg is prime time for smoking jerkey. You hold a steady 225 deg and the fresh apple in a tin can smokes like a champ.

Snow is falling = all oak, all the time. OK,perhaps 20% black locust mixed in, just for S & G's. :)

Armfull of whatever is on top of the pile at the time. Computer on my lap or play with baby or spend time with wife. Golden retriever by my side.

Matt

I painted little light blue gun sight crosshairs on top of my fence posts.
Seems to have worked. We got snow.

- Make sure the wood rack in the living roomis full and the ash pans are empty. Doesn't matter what the wood is in the rack...its all dry and its up into the 20's when its snowing out.
- Go outside and clean off the truck.
- Go back inside for my coffee travel mug, lunch and kiss the wife and kid. Threaten the kid on my way out to behave because its a snow day and the wife has a short fuse.
- Go to work, plow the driveway on my way out.
- Work till 4, go home, plow driveway again.

Done.

Crap . . . you mean I need to have a special recipe to make it snow . . . no wonder we don't have much snow this winter . . . I guess I gotta come up with something if I want it to snow tomorrow.

billb3 said:

Yur in Mass/Libland. Yew mite dew good 2 paint over the crosshairs or yew'll get blamed 4 killing trees.

My recipe is as follows.
A sprinkle of Beech kindling.
2 small beech splits .
Fill to top with large Beech .
Let simmer for up to 10 hours then add more beech.
In a month or 2 shut down furnace for a week and head to the beach.

unfortunateLEE said:
billb3 said:

Yur in Mass/Libland. Yew mite dew good 2 paint over the crosshairs or yew'll get blamed 4 killing trees.

My recipe is as follows.
2 small beech splits .
Fill to top with Beech .

Not to worry - it's an un-party fence - the grass is green on both sides.

firefighterjake said:
Crap . . . you mean I need to have a special recipe to make it snow . . . no wonder we don't have much snow this winter . . . I guess I gotta come up with something if I want it to snow tomorrow.

Try mine. I have plowed 2 times today and still falling.

smokinjay said:
firefighterjake said:

But how many times have you plowed the snow smokin?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
firefighterjake said:

But how many times have you plowed the snow smokin?

zap

lol keep going till I cant get back up...

Adios Pantalones said:
Boxers with the hearts on them

Hmmm...mine has Simpson characters on them...maybe thats where I am going wrong

***scratching chin with puzzled look on face***

My recipe is burn through the Red maple, punky wood that I think was a Chestnut Oak, Red Cedar, and White Pine and sift out the Black Walnut, REd Oak, and White Ash to save for nightime. I am currently working through a stack of pretty sorry looking wood, but I take it in reverse order of how I stacked it, so I will have to make do. I loaded up the back porch this morning just before the snow started to fall. it is a steady, moderate snow now near State College, PA.

Cold = Pine
Warmer = Pine
Snowing = Pine
Windy = Pine
-35 with wind chill, horizontal snow and can't see the driveway = Pine. And Sam Adams.

moosetrek said:
Cold = Pine
Warmer = Pine
Snowing = Pine
Windy = Pine
-35 with wind chill, horizontal snow and can't see the driveway = Pine. And Sam Adams.

-35 I would mix more pine!

Guy said:
smokinjay said:
moosetrek said:
Cold = Pine
Warmer = Pine
Snowing = Pine
Windy = Pine

Or Sam Adams
Guy

Should stir in quite welll!

smokinjay said:
Guy said:
smokinjay said:
moosetrek said:
Cold = Pine
Warmer = Pine
Snowing = Pine
Windy = Pine

Or Sam Adams
Guy

dont know if id waist good beer in the stove. lol

ecocavalier02 said:
smokinjay said:
Guy said:
smokinjay said:
moosetrek said:
Cold = Pine
Warmer = Pine
Snowing = Pine
Windy = Pine

Or Sam Adams
Guy

dont know if id waist good beer in the stove. lol

I prefer beer for cooling and whiskey/bourbon for warmth. Neither goes in the stove.

It's snowing nicely right now, so I am a happy cat.
Just loaded the stove up with locust and she is rocking right now.
Think I'll mix in some sambuca to finish the night
Tomorrow calls for ash and corned beef hash
I don't think I'll be rushing to get to work tomorrow.

unfortunateLEE said:
billb3 said:

My recipe is as follows.
2 small beech splits .
Fill to top with large Beech .

Very funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.