Recipes for the Progress Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which recipe would you like next? Or at all?

• fall vegetable soup

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rideau

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
southern ontario
SOUP: Late Autumn Garden Soup I: LEEK BROCCOLI CELERIAC

Clean and cut 1 cup leek.
1 1/2 cups broccoli, cut into about 1 inch pieces
1/2 large celeriac, peeled & sliced thin and narrow (can substitute 4 stalks celery)
few small sweet peppers (or 1/2 large sweet bell pepper)

If you are vegetarian, and use boiling water below instead of stock,add:
1 carrot, finely sliced, 1 new potato with skin, finely chopped;
Can also add, if you have any left: 1/2 c summer squash, 1/2 c kohlrabi diced
Can also add 1 small sweet onion (small, don't want to overpower the leeks)

On central element, Stir-fry all in large diameter heavy non-stick or cast pan, using 1-2 T oil or butter, til vegetables would be ready for eating as stir fry. I use a wooden spoon for this purpose.

Make (or heat)* and add 4 c chicken stock/buillion (Better than Buillion, or Kitchen Basics work fine...haven't used but am told Pacific (something) is good also);

or, if you are vegetarian, add 4 c.boiling water*, if you added extra vegetables above;
if you did not add extra vegetables above, add 4 c. vegetable stock.

Add 1 T fresh parsley, 1/8 tsp tumeric (optional).

If you used vegetarian recipe with extra vegetables rather than stock, add pinch cayenne pepper, and grind black pepper to taste;

Cook to boiling.

Blend with stick blender to desired consistency.

Serve hot, in soup bowls warmed on stove.

My suggestion: Try it as above first. It really does not need milk product. For a slightly heartier soup on a cold day, or for calcium:

Cream variation: Use 3 1/2 cups stock or water instead of four; after soup boils, stick blend, cut to simmer (place on highest element or one of the soapstone tops, depending on how hot your stove is) and add 1/2 cup either skim, 1%, 2%, whole milk, or light or heavy cream depending on your preference. Heat the soup to a simmer. Serve hot.

*You can heat the water or stock on the stove on the left element before adding, or add cold and simply heat the soup a bit longer to boiling.

This makes a great meal on a cold autumn day, especially if served with crackers and Cabot 3 year cheddar.

Next up: Autumn Soup II: CARROT LEEK
Autumn Soup III: FALL VEGETABLE
CHICKEN CASSEROLE

Which do you want next?

Reactions: Elle
Nice Rideau. Chicken casserole sounds good!

Is this a cooking Forum:cool: , had to ask it.

Chicken Casserole

(Note: Recipe is doubled because it makes a great second meal, is easy to reheat (Just add a bit of milk if eating on rice or noodles, or plain; do not add milk if eating on bread/toast))

Ingredients:

2 cooked chicken breasts, cut into smaller pieces (can substitute several cups of turkey)
1 lb. broccoli or asparagus (have also used brussel sprouts) (usually use broccoli)
1 lb frozen niblets corn or frozen peas
1 large or 2 -10 oz cans Campbells Cream of chicken soup
2T +/- mayonnaise
2T + orange juice or lemon juice
soup can/s full of milk (whichever cans you use, use same amount of milk
parmesan cheese
bread crumbs

Dutch oven, enameled cast iron casserole or large pot, or heavy roasting pan

Steam broccoli or asparagus 2-3 minutes; spread on bottom of 1/2 of cookpan;
Spread frozen peas or corn on bottom of other half of cookpan.
Spread cooked, cut up meat evenly over vegetables.
Combine soup, milk, mayonnaise and about 1/4 c. parmesan cheese in mixing bowl and mix well. Add bread crumbs to thicken until about 1/2 way between runny and not at all runny; spread evenly over meat, to cover entire top of casserole ; fine to have the sauce run down into the casserole, as long as all the food is covered. If you don't think you have enough sauce, you can add a bit more milk and cheese/crumbs/OJ as needed to make the quantity of sauce you need.
Sprinkle cheese lightly over entire casserole, to just lightly cover entire surface.
Sprinkle bread crumbs over cheese layer, to lightly cover entire surface.

Cover with heavy pot cover;

Cook on cooktop until boiling well at edges. Which element to use depends on your stove top temp. If the stove is really hot, I just cook on the soapstone (soapstone 350 degrees or better). Otherwise, cook on cast surface, likely coolest element unless the stove is cruising along at a really low cat burn....you want an element that isn't over 400, aim for 350 to cook slowly. You are trying to make the pan an oven.....

Casserole should be cooked in about 1/2 hour.

Cook rice alongside on a slightly hotter element. I use 2 c liquid for 1 c rice. Mix red, white, brown and wild rice, and cook for 20-30 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. You can use any combination of rice you like. For children who prefer white rice, this casserole is a good way to get some other rice eaten... Depending on how you like your rice, can cook covered (moister rice) or uncovered. Can use straight water, chicken broth, or can add the water that the broccoli was steamed over , can add tumeric to water, so long as ratio of water to rice is about 2:1.

Serve hot, casserole over rice.

Casserole is also great served alone, with crusty homebaked bread on the side.

Casserole is delicious spread thickly on a good bread and broiled for a few minutes, as leftovers. Can also toast your bread on the cooktop, then spread casserole thickly on bread and reheat in a covered heavy cookpan, or wrapped loosly in foil, foil placed on cooktop. Use coolest element, or soapstone top, if using foil.

Also delicious reheated the second day with a bit of milk and served on reheated rice, pasta or noodles, or plain.

It's really nice on a cold day.

Adjust recipe in the future to use whichever vegetables you like. Can try any vegetables. Could try an autumn vegetable blend. I think I'll try that: cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, celeric or celery, stir-fryed then spread in the bottom o the casserole; maybe served without the rice. Have an idea I am going to try. Will post it if it works.

This recipe has been spread far and wide. Have yet to meet anyone, young or old, who doesn't love it when prepared with a vegetable he/she likes. Have never had anyone not like it with broccoli, including young children.

Chili' on the PH stove, simple and easy, anyone can do it. And it is DELICIOUS!

There are many Chili recipes, almost ALL of them are good. But I make a Chili my own way, and I love how it comes out. I made it today on my new PH which is now only 48 hours old! So here ya go, enjoy!

Ingredients:
- 2 lbs of Chop Meat OR any steak finely chopped up (today I used 1.5lb's of chop meat, and 1 Rib eye steak)
- 1/2 package of Pork Fat Back ("Salt Pork) chopped into 1/4" chunks
- 3 15.5oz cans of Black Beans (or kidney beans, or any other beans!, but I like black beans in this the best)
- 1 15.5 oz can of Corn
- 1 28oz of Peeled Tomatoes, chop up the tomatoes before adding (can use same amount of chopped tomatoes or sauce)
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh Jalapeno Pepper finely chopped (2 if you like it hot)
- 1 green Bell Pepper (or any other green pepper) chopped (I did not have one today, did without it)
- 1 head of fresh brocoli, finely chopped
- a few cloves of mined Garlic, or sprinkle of Garlic Powder
- 1 or 2 table spoons of Cumin power
- 3 table spoons of Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- 1 table spoon of Crushed Red Pepper (pizza type pepper)
- 1 table spoon of Sugar
- couple shakes of some Liquid Smoke (or any other smoke flavoring) to your liking, I use alot
- 1 or 2 cups of DARK BEER. I like a good Oatmeal Stout, but any Stout will do. In a pinch, go ahead and add 1/2 a, dare I say it, a Budweiser. There, I said it! But please don't do it! Use REAL beer!! ;) Oh, and make sure you taste plenty of the beer first, and after to ensure quality!

Toppings/sides:
- Sour Cream
- One finely Chopped Onion (Vidalia if you have one!)
- 1 or 2 cups of shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican mix, whatever you like!)
- a Baguette or Italian Bread as a side
- 1 frozen beer mug
- a jug of Oatmeal Stout

Directions:
In a large ceramic or cast iron pot with a cover (I used my electric crockpot insert), add the chop meat, pork fat back and chopped onion and place covered on the center burner of the Progress Hybrid with a light to medium fire going. 3 medium splits cooked the entire meal with plenty to spare. Let meat slightly brown, and onions glaze,stirring occasionally until done (about 15 minutes: I put mine on stove and got rest of ingrediants together.... and the meat was browned. Now stoke the fire and turn up the heat a bit. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, mix well and cover. Stir the pot about every hour, ensure you stir up from the bottom well. After 6 or 7 hours, remove from the stove and serve. You can't leave it on too long, it just keeps getting better, so no worries, finish stacking that cord if you want, it will be fine when your ready.

To Serve:
Fill a large bowl with Chili. First sprinkle on some shredded cheese so it starts to melt a bit, then add a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle some fresh chopped onion on top. Garnish with a rip of some fresh artesian bread, I used some rustic roasted garlic bread today. Lastly, remove your frozen mug from the freezer, and poor another mug of fresh Oatmeal Stout, Enjoy!

Brown meat2.JPG

All added.JPG

Mixed up.JPG

Cooking2.JPG

Serving.JPG

Great..now I'm hungry at 1 in the morning!

Looks great Machria,,,,looks like your your right at home cooking with your Progress stove. Woodstock builds some first class stoves as you are getting to see first hand... I think they're worth every penny!

i want chili at 830am, and good beer too. is that a bad sign? I also cook on my PH pretty regularly, everything from a pot of beans, boiling pasta for whatever, long slow cooking stews, chili, and stir frying vegetables etc. Its as functional as my range top, only more fun. Im also glad i got the long leg version, makes for a nice height for cooking.

Reactions: rideau
Them pics make me hungry ! Im still to afraid to mess up the newness of it cooking on it ;lol That will pass in time though.

Them Woodstock boys are some smart dudes, having the three different temperature burners works great.

Them Woodstock boys are some smart dudes, having the three different temperature burners works great.
I got to see the first plates before they went out when I was over there picking out a Fireview . They are very meticulous with the fit of everything as well..I saw that first hand with the stone fit on the top..

Them pics make me hungry ! Im still to afraid to mess up the newness of it cooking on it ;lol That will pass in time though.

Common man! (As in ESPN style). Mine was only a day old when it prod cued it's first meal! Get cookin! ;)

Speaking of temperatures, what temps are you guys seeing on your burners?

Somebody said they boil pasta, how long to boil water?...

Anywhere from 400-600 depending on where we are in the burn cycle.

i want chili at 830am, and good beer too. is that a bad sign?

Did somebody say something about breakfast Chili?

Warm up a bowl of leftover Chili on the Med burner, while frying a quick egg or two on the high burner and toasting a few slices of bread on the low burner. Just plop the egg right on top of the chile and garnis with some toasted bread. Serve with a hot cup of coffee, which of course can be perked on the PH as well. I need to get a good coffee perker for the PH.

Breakfast Chile_resize.JPG

That looks like some home baked, artisan bread there.

SOUP: Late Autumn Garden Soup I: LEEK BROCCOLI CELERIAC

Wow, that sounds delicious!!! I'll try this in the next few days, thanks.

Blend with stick blender to desired consistency.

What is a "stick blender"? Never herd that term before?

[/quote]

I make a great "Blackened Brussel Sprout Soup", I'll post that one soon.... that is one of my favorite soups. That, and what I call a 100 year seafood soup I make.

Stick blender is a great simple littke kitchen tool. Hand held, stick shaped, about a foot long///kitchenaid makes a good one, Cuisanart's is OK but not adjustable or as powerful. The unit plugs in, top separates from bottom for cleaning bottom. At the bottom of the unit is a shielded cutting arm that rotates quickly and chops up food. Blade is like a food processor blade. Easier to use and clean...as long as your pot/bowl/dish/meauring cup is deep enough to let the food to be blended cover the blending part, there is no splatter. If I have just a small amount to blend, I angle the container to get the food deeper in a corner, and, if necessary, pulse the thing. You dial the cutting speed you want, then press the button to turn it on. Lousy description, but a great, small, easy to store, inexpensive tool that I would not be without. Use it evey day.

Stick blender is a great simple littke kitchen tool. Hand held, stick shaped, about a foot long///kitchenaid makes a good one, Cuisanart's is OK but not adjustable or as powerful. The unit plugs in, top separates from bottom for cleaning bottom. At the bottom of the unit is a shielded cutting arm that rotates quickly and chops up food. Blade is like a food processor blade. Easier to use and clean...as long as your pot/bowl/dish/meauring cup is deep enough to let the food to be blended cover the blending part, there is no splatter. If I have just a small amount to blend, I angle the container to get the food deeper in a corner, and, if necessary, pulse the thing. You dial the cutting speed you want, then press the button to turn it on. Lousy description, but a great, small, easy to store, inexpensive tool that I would not be without. Use it evey day.

Gotcha, familiar with them, just never herd it termed a stick blender I guess. I just use my blender for that sort of thing.

Ok, PH Pizza next up! Got a cast iron "pizza stone" that fit's inside, got a pizza shovel that fits thru door perfectly. PH Pizza will happen shortly, and I'll post pics and recipe.

What else are we makin? Need more recipes!

Gentleman, I present the first test firing of Progress Hybrid Soapstone Pizza! Be CAREFULL trying this, the griddle gets VERY hot in there, I used a stove glove, with a silicone pot holder (both togehter) to remove the griddle when done, and the heat was still burning my hands and had to put the griddle down in a hurry! I'm going to work on this and perfect it, and have a cast iron "stand" made I can slip into the stove that the griddle will sit on, instead of it sitting on the hot coals directly.

1. Get yourself the the Lodges cast iron reversable Griddle (it measure 16 /12" long x 9 1/2" wide). I bought it on Amazon.
2. Get yourself a small size pizza Peel (shovel) that fits thru the PH door. (I forget exact measurements?) I got mine at a local Restuarant supply store.
3. Either make your own pizza dogh, or pick one up for $2 at the local Pizza shop.
4. Prepare a SMALL fire a few hours in advance, so it is burned down to just hot coals when you are ready to cook.
5. Prepare your toppings, whatever you like, I suggest the following:
  • Fresh Mozzarella cheese, cut to about 1/2" cubes (pre-shredded in bags at store work ok as well)
  • Fresh Spinach leaves, chop roughly, not too small (about 2" pieces is fine)
  • Dice and/or slice some fresh Garlic, the more the better! I used 6 or 7 cloves
  • Dice 1 cup of Sweet Onion
  • Slice 6 or 7 medium sized Mushrooms. I used regular shrooms this time, but Portabello work the best!
  • 1/4 cup of shredded Asiago cheese (THIS is the trick to good pizza!)
  • Sliced Black Olives (I did not have any this time).
  • 2 cups of tomato sauce seasoned/cooked to your liking (Pizza sauce from a jar works fine!)
6. Heavily flour wooden cutting board or your counter top, and spread out pizza doug to no more than 8 or 9" wide, x 15" long max.
7. Spread tomato sauce around on dough to your liking.
8. Cover sauce with Spinage liberally, pile it a few inches high! It will cook down to nothing, don't worry.
9. Add the rest of the toppings, and then top with the Mozzeralla cheese.
10. Lastly, spring some Asiago around on top, this adds a delicious flabor to the pizza.

When you having nothing but an inch or 2 of red hot coals in the firebox, open the bypass (since you will be opening and closing the door, AND to keep the cooking grease/smoke.... off the cat. Lower the air all the way down. Now open the door and slide in the griddle flat side up, let it sit on the hot coals at the far end, and let the close end rest on the ledge just inside the door. Close the door and wait about 5 or 10 mintes for the griddle to heat up. Now load the pizza onto the Pizza peel which should be well covered in flour to keep the dough sliding easily on it. Open the door, and slide the peel onto the griddle and let the pizza slid off with some light jiggling of the peel. Close the door. Don't go to far away, cause the pizza will be ready in about 3 to 5 minutes, tops!

When it looks ready, open the door and shovel it out, and ENJOY! Delicious, wood fired and smoke flavored pizza! just anothe way your wood can "heat you". Don't forget a nice dark beer to go with it. Enjoy!!

Hardware.JPG

Ingredients.JPG

Door open.JPG

Pizza in PH.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.