Recoil Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
My neighbor has a stihl chainsaw (not sure what model or year) but when you pull to start it nothing happens, it just pulls out real easy.

What could be wrong with it?

zap

sounds like the recoil spring is toast. You'll have to pull the recoil cover off, and look at the spring. I bet the little 'hook' on the part of the spring that latches on to the cord reel is gone.

sounds like the recoil spring is toast. You'll have to pull the recoil cover off, and look at the spring. I bet the little 'hook' on the part of the spring that latches on to the cord reel is gone.
Thanks SO, I'll give him a call tomorrow then pick it up so I can take a quick look tomorrow night. He will never use it again but if I can fix it for him he can sell it.
zap

Reactions: ScotO
Does the pull cord go back into the return position, or does it stay out when you pull it? If it does not stay out, the spring may not be the problem. It may be the starter pawls ( they are what catches onto the starter cup in the flywheel when you pull the cord). Let me know

Does the pull cord go back into the return position, or does it stay out when you pull it? If it does not stay out, the spring may not be the problem. It may be the starter pawls ( they are what catches onto the starter cup in the flywheel when you pull the cord). Let me know
Can't remember, it's been over a year since he showed me.
zap

Can't remember, it's been over a year since he showed me.
zap
After thinking about your question I'm thinking it may be the pawls aren't engaging the starter cup. Get the saw and let me know.

Sound's like Scotty's on to something. Most common failure on Stihl saws is the pawls. Cheap and easy fix.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.