Recoil Spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
The starter rope got jammed on my poulan 4218. Unfortunately I had to take the assembly apart and the recoil spring popped off. How can I rewind this and install it or can I even do that??

carefully and with great patience, you kinda have to coil it hold it in rewind it and install it at the same time. might take a couple of tries.

I am wondering if it is busted though? When it popped off it is now really long? Or is this no big deal?

Go on line and search the problem. I've done it on 1cyl motors. It takes great patience and skill. If you have neither, buy a new one. Its also dangerous, from cutting your fingers or getting poked in the eye standpoint.

yes it will be long it all gets wound back up in the housing.

I am thinking if is just the spring it is not wound. Probably number 21 is the assy.

edit. looking at it closer I do not think 21 includes the spring.

21 doe not include the spring though. I think this thing is really tough though yes I have not fixed one of these before but dang!

This guy's kind of a billy-backyarder, but you'll get the idea. There are other videos on the same subject..... Good luck!

I got it. I think the best thing to do is put the coil and the plastic on a flat surface. Keep turning the plastic keeping it flat leave a little unwound. Slip your hand underneath it then push it into the Poulan housing turn it a little and with thin needle nose pliers snap the other side of the locking band in place. Then screw it in and off I am going thanks all!

Congrats! If you did do it, you have some skills. I'm assuming it was as difficult as the ones I've done.

I've tried to save a spring and had a bear of a time - ended up just ordering a new spring. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.