Recommend a large stove with 6"Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the top would get pretty hot on the myriad? It is difficult to bring a kettle to boil on the answer because of a heat shield built into the top. Would like to be able to do some actually cooking on there like my parents did when i was a kid.

I have a Drolet Austral, same stove but on legs. Drolet has great customer service, and the stove throws serious heat. The one thing I like about the drolet vs an Englander is the Drolet has a stainless baffle vs a fiber board one on the Englander. I cram my firebox full and often have wood against the baffle, I'm afraid I would damage the fiber board on the Englander. On the flip side, the baffle on the Drolet isn't removable, while the Englander I believe the baffle and the secondary tubes are removable. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the Englander.

Whoa! Can't replace the baffle is a biggie.

And cramming up to the baffle ain't all it is cracked up to be. Used to do that and all I did was torch the top splits with the secondary air. Quit doing it and and got the same heat and burn times with less wood.

That combustion space between the baffle and the wood is something to leave alone and let it do it's job. Where secondary air does its magic burning gases.

I have a Drolet Austral, same stove but on legs. Drolet has great customer service, and the stove throws serious heat. The one thing I like about the drolet vs an Englander is the Drolet has a stainless baffle vs a fiber board one on the Englander. I cram my firebox full and often have wood against the baffle, I'm afraid I would damage the fiber board on the Englander. On the flip side, the baffle on the Drolet isn't removable, while the Englander I believe the baffle and the secondary tubes are removable. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the Englander.

the tubes and ceramic baffles are removable in the 30-nc, and BB is correct above , reburn stoves like these are not meant to be "packed to the rafters" try loading just to the top of the bricks and leaving a few inches between the secondaries and the top of the load, sit back and watch the lightshow when those secondaries fire off. the stove will burn cleaner and can usually be damped down further while still getting a clean burn so the wood lasts longer and output doesn't drop off

Do you have a Fleet Farm store down there? Last time I was in there they had a few Drolet stoves in there.

If you were looking to spend more I'd offer you a deal on my one year old BK Princess.

Was hoping to get away for less than a grand.

You should look on Craigslist for a used Jotul F600. Its a pretty large stove and good quality. You might be able to get one for $1000 if you are lucky.

Do you have a Fleet Farm store down there? Last time I was in there they had a few Drolet stoves in there.

If you were looking to spend more I'd offer you a deal on my one year old BK Princess.

Yep, got a fleet farm and a bomgaars.

Status
Not open for further replies.