recommendation for air purifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
Does anyone use air filter /purifier in the winter to try to reduce dust in the house? We have a wood insert in our living room and while we love the wood heat and the savings in oil, I was wondering if there is any thing that may help with dust control. As always thanks for any help.

Thanks a lot. I was worried that I won't get any responses. :)

We have a lot of dust/hair/crap in the air too. I don't think much is from the stove. We've got dogs, and the amount of hair is ridiculous.
This is the one we got. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/honeywell-quietclean-air-purifier-hfd-123-hd.html#.UOxUaneE5zc
The day after turning it on, the congestion in the back of my throat was almost gone. It's actually too small for the space, but does quite a good job. We plan to get another soon.
I also notice that if I forget to clean the pre-filter every couple-3 days, the congestion is more noticable.

Thanks PapaD, i will look into this as well.

I bought a $$ Orick one a few years back (was around $350) and ended up returning it after the couple month trial period was done. I honestly didn't notice any difference with it running or not other than my power bill went up a bit.

The best thing I have found for dust in the winter is wiping everything down with a microfiber rag and some pledge every few weeks.

Did some research and in the price range we are at(under $200) we just picked up a Sharp Plasmacluster last night. I learned a bit while researching...like didn't know there was a difference between a hepa filter and a hepa type filter....the CADR ratings don't tell the whole story, etc. Should know in a few days if what we got was the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.