Recommendation for stove/heater for cottage in Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ipswichclam

Sep 29, 2014
Ipswich ma
Hi Everyone,

I own a small (900 square feet) cottage in midcoast Maine. When we are not there in the winter, I leave the heat on low (about 55 degrees), put insulating blankets on the windows and shut doors to rooms that do not have plumbing to keep warm.

Currently there are two sources of heat—a Rinnai wall heater and an ancient Empire wall heater. Both run on propane. The house is kind of long and narrow. The Rinnai is down one end near the kitchen, and the Empire is down the other end near the bathroom and one bedroom.

The Empire is beginning to fail, and I am looking to replace it. One advantage that it has over the Rinnai is that it has a standing pilot, and so does not need electricity to run. Power outages are somewhat common, especially during ice storms—exactly when I would need a good source of heat to keep the pipes from freezing. (By the way, I do have a freeze alarm that calls me when the temperature drops below 40 degrees).

I was looking at a Vermont Castings Intrepid, which of course would be more visually appealing than replacing the Empire with another wall heater. What do people think of this stove?

As a more general question, do you think that heat from a stove like this (with no blower) would be reach an adjacent bedroom (it's kind of around the corner, but no more than 15 feet away) when we are there in the winter and need heat in the house? The Empire has a blower and did fine in this regard.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Living in South Portland, unless that place has crummy insulation / drafts, pretty much any 2 stoves should be plenty for 900 SF. At 900 SF and a narrow space, it must be quite long and the middle / off rooms would be a challenge without fans of some type. Stove blower fans are expensive and might not be the best solo approach for this layout in terms of price / noise / performance, but you did have good previous experience. With two stoves on opposite ends of the dwelling I'm thinking almost any kind of inexpensive floor and or or doorway type fan should do the trick, along with a bit of experimenting on direction and placement.

Bill Zelman
www.Hot-Tubes.com

Status
Not open for further replies.