Recommendation for thin Hearth Plates & Heat Shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mmulholland22

Oct 2, 2022
NY
Hi --

I bought a home that came with an old Morso 1125. I'm looking to redo the hearth and heat shield. My ideal hearth plate is something thin (<2 inches thick).
Any recommendations for something thin and minimalist? I have the manual for the stove and know how much area to protect.

Is there an r-value requirement for the floor? That will determine what material to use or what may be commercially available.

Hearth plate is usually called a hearth pad. The English manual for the 1125 is quite limited. It says the stove should be place on a non-combustible hearth board with no further description. At the time this usually meant an R=1.19 hearth pad. Use that spec if buying one. If making the hearth pad, 3 layers of 1/2" cement board with a finish tiling should suffice. Or a layer of 1/2" micore, and then cement board on top with the tile would also work.

Reactions: mmulholland22