Recommendation for wood fireplace insert for Charlotte NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leisterbrau

Mar 10, 2016
Charlotte, NC
We are looking at putting an insert into our fireplace to increase efficiency/heat output. It would be located in the living room with a chimney on the outer wall. Winters are fairly mild here. We would be mostly using it for supplemental heat. Our house is 2400 sq ft. Do any of you have any recommendations that would be a good fit for us? For supplemental heat, do you recommend catalytic or non catalytic? Sounds like better heat efficiency with catalytic, but trickier to get started and more maintenance than non catalytic.

Welcome. We need to know a few more details. Ideally it sounds like you will want a large insert, if it fits. Is this a masonry fireplace and what are its dimensions front and back and depth? Also, are there cathedral ceilings or normal height ceilings?

Yes, we'd like a larger insert. Normal ceiling height. 1200 sq ft each floor. Masonry fireplace. Front dimension is 37" w X 28.5" h. Depth is 23". Back width is ~28"

That's a generous fireplace. Most inserts will fit in there. If this is mostly supplemental then perhaps get an insert that goes best with the house style. Is this fireplace and home traditional, old or modern?

Take a look at the Enviro Boston (or Venice) 1700 insert for starters.

How large an area do you hope to heat with the stove? What is the fireplace room like? Tall ceilings? Open floorplan or is the area closed off by doorways?

I own an Enviro Venice 1200 the smaller version of the 1700. Well built, simple operation, lots of heat. My small 1200 kept the primary gas heater off for the most part. Load around 11:00pm plenty of coals for a morning reload at 6:00am. Glass stays clean. Cleaned the chimney liner after about 3/4 cord of wood with minor creasote at the top of the chimney.

Thanks. Fireplace is in living room that is open to kitchen. Pretty open floor plan on first floor. 7' ceilings. The enviro Boston looks nice. My wife favored. Flush mount initially. Do you know how far it sticks out from fireplace?

It's been a while since I have seen the Boston insert but would guess it projects out onto the hearth about 6-7". If looking for more flush maybe consider the Hampton HI400?

Blaze King is coming out with some flush mount stoves that look rather nice. I have their princess insert and couldn't be happier.

I have Buck 94NC. We have it set as an insert and only a small portion sticks out. It is a non-cat and we can heat our house with it [we are just shy of 2200']. It does not stick that far out, maybe 12"14".
Buck 94NC.jpg

If you are looking for a Zero Clearance unit that is a non-cat, try this.
http://www.buckstove.com/model-74ZC.html#.Vu1oNPkrKCg

Just something else to consider and they are made in Spruce Pine, if you are intereted is suppoeting a "local" company.

Is the HI400 catalytic? The more I read about maintenance on catalytic, the more I am leaning towards a non cat insert.
It is a hybrid catalytic stove. Maintenance should be low with proper operation. There are some other options but they are either not flush or more contemporary in design. For example there is the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 which is non-cat or the Osburn Matrix. Also take a look at the Hearthstone Clydesdale insert. It's projection out on the hearth is adjustable and can be set to near flush, with just the ashlip projecting. This is a very good looking insert with a nice wide fire view.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leisterbrau
Status
Not open for further replies.