Recommendation for Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptalexme

Oct 17, 2012
Hey all, due to multiple issues with my old cheap wood stove that came with my house, I am looking into getting a new one. I could use some help narrowing it down to a few to choose from.

Details: small 1.5 story house, approx. 1400 sqft built in 1984. Chimney on outside wall, facing stairs and master bedroom. The chimney has a cast-in liner and I am told it is in great shape. I live in NC, so most of the winter it's only down to low 30s on average. I would like to keep cost under $1500 if possible. Let me know what other info would be pertinent.

I am pretty capable as a handyman, so I could probably install myself, but I don't know the potential issues with that, so comments here would be good also!

I hear there are tax credits available also, so hopefully I can get in on that.

Besides brands and sizes, I am also not sure if I should go with a catalytic or not.

Anyway, any advice/tips/recommendations would be great, thanks!

So, are you looking for an insert for a fireplace, or a freestanding stove? The title says insert. If it's a fireplace then it would be hard to get an insert in for the price you have in mind. Even though it has a cast liner, you will still need to re-line directly to the insert. If you are looking for a freestanding stove, then you have a few options in the $1500 range.

Yes, I am looking for an insert. What would need to be done to re-line to the insert? What would be the limitation on cost, the stove or added expense of the installation?

First you have to measure your FP opening to see what will fit, if you need a liner check out prices on chimneyliner depot to get an idea, its pretty easy so you should be able to do it yourself with the help of a friend. Hope Depot has an insert from Englander, you'd probably have to order it, Drolet has an insert thats not to expensive, some guys here have Century's, I think Northern Tool sells them. Those 3 should be in your price range.I think I paid about $500 for my liner, I had to buy 30 feet, 6 inch ss liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.