Recommendations for a Security System?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
A neighbor house just got burgularized, and now the wife is paranoid.
She'd be happy with a non-interconnected system that made a lot of noise.
(No dogs for us).
There are many different systems out there, apparently.
Would anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

I have a "First Alert" brand security system. They system itself was installed by ADT (local security company) but you do not need to be monitored for the system to function. I find it to be reliable and easy to use. I believe you can buy these systems online for DIY install. In my opinion the security system should really be relied on as a "notification" system only and not "security".

You need to define what happens after the alarm goes off at 2AM to really be "ready". Most real bad guys aren't going to care if the siren sounds after they break the window or jimmy the door. The siren gives you (the homeowner) the opporunity to do whatever you feel is appropriate to protect your loved ones.

velvetfoot said:
A neighbor house just got burgularized, and now the wife is paranoid.
She'd be happy with a non-interconnected system that made a lot of noise.
(No dogs for us).
There are many different systems out there, apparently.
Would anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Motion-sensing outdoor lights.

That will work at night at least.

Hang a scrap motor in a tree and throw some empty shot gun shells in the driveway.

nothing says don't burgle me like a beater car in the driveway and a dead refrigerator on the front porch.

And then there is fake TV: http://www.faketv.com/

How long are you going to stay in your house? That's the real question. Just about all the security systems cost the same, but the longer you stay the better it is to pay up front. If you're not going to monitor then just get some stickers and call it a day. If you're going to monitor you have to realize that cutting the cable/phone line is going to stop it anyway (unless you pay for cell).

Here's the dirty secret: It takes .4-90 seconds for remote response from central station, but an average of 20 minutes for the cops to get there. It takes a cop 20 minutes to drive from one side of my town to the other. Sorry, a theif is not going to wait that long.

As far as equipment, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!!! The thing that matters is who installs the equipment. Wireless can work, but a lot of false alarms are from wireless equipment improperly installed. Just remember that if you go with ADT and some of the others you DO NOT OWN THE EQUIPMENT and can't change monitoring/service companies after the initial period is expired. They have special chips that only work with proprietary equipment. Make sure you are specific that you want any and all programming lockout codes to be provided at the time of installation.

I'm going to install my own. Probably hardwired on the first floor if I can figure out how to run those little wires to a motion detector high up the wall. It'll not be monitored, at first-maybe give me a call, if that's possible. My wife says she'll be happy if it makes a lot of noise. I'll be happy if I don't pay much.

btuser said:
How long are you going to stay in your house? That's the real question. Just about all the security systems cost the same, but the longer you stay the better it is to pay up front. If you're not going to monitor then just get some stickers and call it a day. If you're going to monitor you have to realize that cutting the cable/phone line is going to stop it anyway (unless you pay for cell).

Here's the dirty secret: It takes .4-90 seconds for remote response from central station, but an average of 20 minutes for the cops to get there. It takes a cop 20 minutes to drive from one side of my town to the other. Sorry, a theif is not going to wait that long.

As far as equipment, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!!! The thing that matters is who installs the equipment. Wireless can work, but a lot of false alarms are from wireless equipment improperly installed. Just remember that if you go with ADT and some of the others you DO NOT OWN THE EQUIPMENT and can't change monitoring/service companies after the initial period is expired. They have special chips that only work with proprietary equipment. Make sure you are specific that you want any and all programming lockout codes to be provided at the time of installation.

I agree. Makes you wonder who is robbing who. METAL is right--get a few stickers, maybe a fake camera. The TV thing is strange--whats wrong with just using a real TV?
I have an acquaintance who uses a radio near a window on his empty cabin.

I've always been a fan of the signs that read:

Tresspassers will be shot, Survivors will be shot again!

or

If you can read this, you are in range!

Those 2 paired together will keep most people away.

Maybe it's just me . . . but the light from the fake TV doesn't look real . . . looks more like the lights from a Christmas tree blinking off and on randomly.

firefighterjake said:
Maybe it's just me . . . but the light from the fake TV doesn't look real . . . looks more like the lights from a Christmas tree blinking off and on randomly.

thats cause you sre straight

go take a couple hits of the crack pipe and look at it again
looks pretty real............

velvetfoot said:
Well, we have a gate on our long driveway, so that should help.

add this to your gate,

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 378
I put in my own, used a Networx Caddx (now GE) NX-8e. Everything hardwired. Its a commercial model but has been around for so long that they are extremely common. Got the panel for less then $100 and the two keypads for $50 each, then it is just however many sensors you want to install. I found the programming pretty easy, but I could see that some people might find it confusing.

I have a ethernet module in mine so it will email me and also email an email-to-text message service to text my cellphone whenever it goes off. I have a motion sensor and glass break sensor in each room, contacts on every door, and plan on adding a keyfob reader to it. All sensors are on their own zone, I priced the same thing out from a "professional" alarm installation service and they would only use wireless devices and charge me $100 each for every sensor past 4. It would have cost me several thousand dollars to have the same thing that I got for less then $400.

Bocefus78 said:
I've always been a fan of the signs that read:

Tresspassers will be shot, Survivors will be shot again!

or

If you can read this, you are in range!

Those 2 paired together will keep most people away.

How about Clint?

EastwoodMyLawn.jpg

While a monitored system is fine, police response times are such that it is a mute point. In other words by the time they arrive ( and believe me you are last on the list including donut time) the perps are long gone. Here the police will not even respond until the alarm service sends someone out to verify that there is a problem at that point the service calls the police. Last time around it was 1.5 hrs before a black and white arrived. The avg. smash and grab is over in less than 15 min.

Lights a lot of noise ( more than one siren or clanging bell, as it has been known to be disconnected if external) independant backup power ( just in case they are bright enough to cut the power.) and CAMERAS lots of CAMERAS. inside out side same area covered from muti angles. Game cams work well, others tied in to a dvr system are ok but the dvr has to be secured so as not to betaken ( they are gettn brighter in some cases)

Point is if the perps want in nothing going to stop them. So you and your equipments job is to get positive ID. Game cams placed to get auto plate # if possible. Good Luck Chris

Hello

I use to install commercial Burglar and Fire Alarm systems.

Before I did that I tried a Radio Shack Alarm Panel and had alot of trouble with it. Then I asked them what kind they use to protect their Radio Shack stores. It certainly was not a Radio Shack model!! LOL

So I recommend either a commercial model such as:

Ademco
http://www.alarmsystemstore.com/Ademco-Honeywell-Alarm-Systems-s/78.htm

Or

DSC
http://www.alarmsystemstore.com/DSC-Power-1616-Alarm-Systems-s/92.htm

They are extremely reliable and both have been making these for many years.

You may get more for your money with the DSC but both are excellent systems.

Also I recommend hooking up the photo electronic Fire sensors for excellent warning in case of a fire!!

My house has been protected this way for over 20 years!!

Also the new IP cams work great for keeping an eye on your place over the Internet!!!!

Attachments

• DSCAlarmPanel.jpg
    DSCAlarmPanel.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 407
Thanks for the tips guys.

Can I ask a quick followup?

Is there a trick for running the little wires to a motion sensor high up in a corner of two outside walls?
I can't imagine fishing it through there, what with the insulation and vapor barrier in there.
Could a little trench for the wire be routed out by a Dremel and then spackled over?

blades said:
While a monitored system is fine, police response times are such that it is a mute point. In other words by the time they arrive ( and believe me you are last on the list including donut time) the perps are long gone. Here the police will not even respond until the alarm service sends someone out to verify that there is a problem at that point the service calls the police. Last time around it was 1.5 hrs before a black and white arrived. The avg. smash and grab is over in less than 15 min.

Lights a lot of noise ( more than one siren or clanging bell, as it has been known to be disconnected if external) independant backup power ( just in case they are bright enough to cut the power.) and CAMERAS lots of CAMERAS. inside out side same area covered from muti angles. Game cams work well, others tied in to a dvr system are ok but the dvr has to be secured so as not to betaken ( they are gettn brighter in some cases)

Point is if the perps want in nothing going to stop them. So you and your equipments job is to get positive ID. Game cams placed to get auto plate # if possible. Good Luck Chris

Indeed. I live in the city and even if I had my system monitored I wouldn't expect the police to respond in time to do any good. I put my system in for 4 reasons.

1. To alert me or wake me up if I am in the house so I can quickly leave in the other direction
2. Make enough noise that the thief might decide that it isn't worth it.
3. Get all the neighbors outside to see what all the racket is about. More eyes = quicker exit of whoever set it off.
4. To alert me that something happened if I'm not there. I can then either call a friend to go check it out and/or plan to go home sooner.

Most theives will be in and out in under a couple minutes. Police response does very little, which is probably why they don't give a high priority to alarm calls anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.