Recommendations for a very small house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading this forum off and on for quite some time. Now I'm gearing up to buy a new wood stove to replace the old stove that came with our house and I thought it might help to hear others' recommendations.

Our house is 600 square feet, although a bit leaky. (We're working on better insulation and weatherproofing, but haven't really done as much as we should yet.) We really only heat about 400 square feet, usually closing off the back rooms and not bothering to heat them.

We currently have a big, old, inefficient sheet-steel wood stove that we use for all of our winter heating needs, which in this climate and with me working at home means we use it on most days in the winter, at least in mornings and evenings and something throughout the day as well. (Happily, with all the sun we get here, we often don't need a fire in the midday, when the sun hits our South-facing house.)

We manage fine with this stove but it has its hassles and we really want to replace it with something modern, EPA approved, and efficient. It's a good setup otherwise, with a brick chimney that runs up from the basement and right through the middle of the house. We get a good draft. And it's easy to heat the main living area since the stove is centrally located in the open living-room/kitchen area.

So... What I'm looking for is a smaller stove, but not as tiny as the VC Aspen. We briefly looked at a Waterford Leprechaun that we found on Craigslist, but it had some missing parts and the bottom line was that I didn't like the tiny burn chamber. I am the primary fire-builder in our house. ;-) I want something that I can build a fire in without severe wood-size limitations (i.e. the ability to take 16" logs with some variation allowances and elbow room to actually build a fire). But I otherwise want a stove that is relatively small.

I think I want to stick with a non-catalytic stove although that's not an absolute. I've done plenty of reading over years so I do know the pros and cons and various opinions on the non-cat vs. cat debate.

I lean towards a cast iron stove, mostly for the looks. This thing will, after all, sit right smack in the middle of our living area, so looks matter to a certain degree. And I'm not fond of the look of most modern sheet-metal stoves. But that is also not an absolute. Efficiency is the real priority.

Price is an object, but at the same time we'll spend money for quality where it matters. Somewhere around or below $1,000 would be ideal but it can be above that if it's worth it.

What comes to mind as a good stove for our use and requirements?

Thanks!

- Rachel

When it comes to small stoves, I think Jotuls really have something. Their F 118 blackbear can take up to 24" logs (that means pretty much 20-21") and it being a N/S unit you don't have to worry about logs falling into the glass. They have the F 3 CB which can take up to 18" logs.

Anyway, I'd poke around Jotuls. You can see their site
http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus

Check out the VC Intrepid II. Small cat stove, but longer even burns than a small noncat.

Thanks for the responses so far. :)

The Jotul 602 and most (if not all) of the Morso stoves look to be the "too small" stoves I'm trying to avoid. I'm tempted to call them ultra-small. The small-to-midsize Jotul and Vermont Castings stoves look closer to what I want. Maybe the Jotul F 100...? And yes, the Jotul F 3 CB looks very intriguing, too. I like the F 118 CB Black Bear but it's kind of a strange fit for the space, just in terms of living room layout. Maybe that could be worked around... food for thought.

Essentially, I want the stove to be relatively small in external dimensions, but I don't want one of these stoves that has a 1 cubic foot firebox or just barely larger than that. After pondering the 1.1 cubic foot firebox in the Waterford Leprechaun we looked at, I knew I wouldn't be able to stand maintaining a fire in it. Ideally what I want is something that is the next step up in terms of firebox size - roomy enough to get wood in without having to finagle and cram in just two small split pieces.

I just hope there's really such a thing before you get to the truly mid-sized stoves that take up more space and are (I guess) likely to overheat our small house. But do keep in mind that this house is pretty leaky.

Still poking around at the various manufacturers' sites and comparing stove specs....

I have the F100 and though I love the little sucker for heating my office it ain't your stove. The firebox is approximately two shoe boxes in size and it is done after two hours of burning/coaling. And that is with solid oak.

BrotherBart said:
I have the F100 and though I love the little sucker for heating my office it ain't your stove. The firebox is approximately two shoe boxes in size and it is done after two hours of burning/coaling. And that is with solid oak.

Interesting. Do you know the cubic foot measurement for the firebox? The Leprechaun's firebox looked to be about one shoebox in size. ;-)

And maybe I'm wrong in my insistence that the firebox be a certain size? I was actually willing at first to go for the Leprechaun we looked at, thinking I would just have to relearn my fire-building skills. Then I changed my mind (based in part on other factors - missing parts and a general feeling that the thing might not be in the best shape).

I'm willing to change ... ;-) ... and willing to look at possibilities outside what I've been planning on so far.

pixelmountain said:
BrotherBart said:

Interesting. Do you know the cubic foot measurement for the firebox? The Leprechaun's firebox looked to be about one shoebox in size. ;-)

17" wide X 9 3/4" deep X 8 3/4" high. But the front opening is only 15" wide. You have a little wiggle room putting the first split in but it is all over after that. 15" and 16" only need apply after that first one.

I'd skip the Waterford and stay with a stove you can get parts for. If you want longer burn and castiron look, maybe the Quadrafire Yosemite or the Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 would be more appealing? FWIW, the 602 would drive you out of the little house in a few minutes if you let it rip. It is a great stove in the small range.

BeGreen said:
I'd skip the Waterford and stay with a stove you can get parts for. If you want longer burn and castiron look, maybe the Quadrafire Yosemite or the Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 would be more appealing? FWIW, the 602 would drive you out of the little house in a few minutes if you let it rip. It is a great stove in the small range.

Oh, the Waterford is out of the picture at this point. But I'll keep that in mind if something else like it becomes available. I am using the Waterford Leprechaun as a comparison point since I saw it personally and didn't like the tiny firebox size.

So are you saying that the current tiny stoves are so much more efficient than my old, bigger, leaky stove (a Mountain Aire, if that helps) that they'd overheat this space when the old, big stove doesn't? I understand the concept but it's still hard to imagine that a stove with a 1 cubic foot firebox would throw off that much more heat - which doesn't overheat our house. Perhaps other factors are in play, namely that our house is leak and, being in Colorado, we mostly burn pine?

If that big old stove you have is not sweating you out of the house. You might want to consider a medium sized stove rather than small. Sounds like you have some serious draft issues(house not chimney). Not all but alot of the small firebox stoves will need feeding every couple hours or so. With a medium, you have the option to put a smaller load in, or on real cold nights load it up and get a decent lengthy burn out of it. And worse comes to worse, you can crack a window open a lil to even out if it gets too warm. With a small stove, if you find on the coldest nights, it does not put out the heat you want/need, there is no more option with that stove. I have said a few times, better to have too much stove and use it as you need it, than have too little a stove and have it loaded max & still not enough heat. I myself (my own opinion)
just do not want to be packing a small stove full only to have to do it again every couple or few hours. But then again between work and the house, I don't have a lot opf free time to be constantly filling a stove. Thinking about it, at only heating 400 sf a small stove might be right for you. Or you could open the other doors up to the bedrooms and get some heat back to them. I don't remember reading, but what is the size of the existing chimney? Terracotta lined? S.S. lined?

Edit: Thinking a lil more about it, and hating to say this but...........
Have you thought about may a pellet stove? They are adjustable, so you can dial in the heat you want or need? Of course they don't help much in a power outage.

We burned fir, alder, soft maple in the 602, in a 2000 sq ft house. The stove could heat the whole house until the temps dropped below 30. I had to feed it every couple hours, but it really put out the heat. 400 sq ft is a really small area. If you are insulating it and tightening it up, that's definitely the right thing to do first. But after that, most stoves will be too big.

Take a look at the VC Intrepid (cat) and the Pacific Energy Alderlea T4. They are smaller stoves that will burn long which is the combo you'll need.

PixelMountain....Fort Fun huh? GOD ME AND THE WIFE MISS IT!!! I lived there for 8 years until we moved to Bucks county PA 4 years ago. What were we thinking!!! God what I would do for a Pint of Punjabi or a Rio marg right about now! Anway check out a Jotul stove, you will not regret it and they are buetifully made. We have a Jotul f600 for a house aprox 1000 sq ft.

When we move back to fort fun we will put a less of a stove in this house and take the Jotul with us! That is how much we love this stove!

P.S. next time your in the trailhead or coopersmiths drink one down for me! :)_

Arlo said:

Nice! We moved here 12 years ago and decided to stay indefinitely. We go to Coopersmiths almost every week. It's such a comfortable, homey place. They've had a bourbon barrell stout the last few years - a specialty beer when they have the barrels - that is currently my favorite beer.

The Jotul stoves really do appeal to me. I guess I just need to let all the information settle, research some more, and take my time making a decision. We're not in any rush. I just want to get a good idea of what I should be looking at.

Arlo said:
PixelMountain....Fort Fun huh? GOD ME AND THE WIFE MISS IT!!! I lived there for 8 years until we moved to Bucks county PA 4 years ago. What were we thinking!!! God what I would do for a Pint of Punjabi or a Rio marg right about now! Anway check out a Jotul stove, you will not regret it and they are buetifully made. We have a Jotul f600 for a house aprox 1000 sq ft.

When we move back to fort fun we will put a less of a stove in this house and take the Jotul with us! That is how much we love this stove!

Bucks County???????? LOL I just moved from there last year. Spent the first 40 years of my life there.
Noiw one of the most expensive counties in PA. Too built up for me anymore. Good luck with those taxes, they raise as much as gas does these days.

bourbon barrell stout the last few years - a specialty beer when they have the barrels
Droool...... sounds delecious ! 12 years huh....I also moved out there in '96. I'm 36, I wonder if we know each other, 6 degrees like? Dave Fialko is the name, hung out with tenecki, gabe sanke, played pool at coops and T-Head regularly.

Bucks County???????? LOL I just moved from there last year. Spent the first 40 years of my life there.
Noiw one of the most expensive counties in PA. Too built up for me anymore. Good luck with those taxes, they raise as much as gas does these days.

Taxes are going up but we live in Lower Bucks, ... Croydon baby, yeah!

PS, sorry to hijack your thread Pixel! ;)

Hogwildz said:
If that big old stove you have is not sweating you out of the house. You might want to consider a medium sized stove rather than small. Sounds like you have some serious draft issues(house not chimney).

Yes, I'd say we do. ;-) Is it significant also that the stove is also incredibly inefficient? It's capable of overheating the house if I load it up, but by burning small, hot fires in it I can keep us comfortable.

Not all but alot of the small firebox stoves will need feeding every couple hours or so. With a medium, you have the option to put a smaller load in, or on real cold nights load it up and get a decent lengthy burn out of it. And worse comes to worse, you can crack a window open a lil to even out if it gets too warm.

I think that makes sense and that's what I want.

I don't remember reading, but what is the size of the existing chimney? Terracotta lined? S.S. lined?

I believe it's 8" square. It needs to be relined.

Have you thought about may a pellet stove? They are adjustable, so you can dial in the heat you want or need? Of course they don't help much in a power outage.

Nah, that's something I really don't want. I don't want to be locked into a manufactured form of fuel. It has popped up as a solution, yes, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Rachel: I have the Morso 7110 and so far it heats the entire 1300 sq ft upper floor of my home in Michigan. I burn it 24/7 at this time of the year and the great room it is in still gets up in the high 70's even with the burn cranked down to get 4-6 hour burn cycles. I have been burning primarily russian olive, so my wood is not as good as some of the hardwood snobs on this forum, but at the same time I never had to pay a dime for it.

The only feedback I would make regarding my stove is that after living with it for a while I would try to go with a North/South loading stove the next time instead of the East/West configuration. I find that placement of the splits is a lot more fussy with the E/W configuration (to prevent a burning split from sliding out when you open the door). Also, I think that I will go with a catalytic stove the next time around, since you only have to fuss a little in getting the temperature up high enough to engage the catayst, thereafter the stove is basically on "autopilot" and will do a nice slow burn until all the fuel is exhausted. By comparison, the non catalytic stove I have has to stay above a certain temperature for the secondary air to do its magic and burn smoke. Drop too low (as the volatiles burn off) and the stove will smoke and make creosote and soot up the glass in the door.

I don't want to sound too negative, the Morso does a fine job of heating our home. It is just a little fussy in its operation if you want a slower burn over an extended period. The Jotul F3CB is actually just a touch smaller, the F100 is much smaller. I chose the Morso 7110 because I had severe clearance issues and the package on the Morso was really tight. If I had a bit more space I would have gone with the Woodstock Fireview or the Harman Oakwood. These stoves can be side or top loaded respectively, thereby eliminating some of the issues with loading. The Vermont castings stoves were further down the list because in my location they were quite pricey and the clearance issues were even greater. My wife hates the look of the steel plate stoves, so that ruled out most of the Pacific Energy stoves and I was not taken in with the "decorative" Alderlea stoves. Otherwise PE stoves would be a really sensible consideration.

Arlo said:
bourbon barrell stout the last few years - a specialty beer when they have the barrels
Droool...... sounds delecious ! 12 years huh....I also moved out there in '96. I'm 36, I wonder if we know each other, 6 degrees like? Dave Fialko is the name, hung out with tenecki, gabe sanke, played pool at coops and T-Head regularly.
I spent my younger years in Feasterville, then Langhorne, Southampton, Warminster, Hatboro, then the last 18 yrs in Warrington. The names don't ring a bell.
Most of my younger years were spent at Visions at Bustleton & Philmont & Sweenies across the street. Then Walsh's, Kenny's on Street rd., back when it was small and a dive (my favorite kind), then when in Warrington was The 611 bar, CHEAP beer & shots, real dive, loved it, shot pool for The Red Stallion, and of course Double Visions ;)
Just can't seem to stay away from the bars of ill repute. We shot around the area of The Stallion, Big Heads Warminster, The Rosemont, etc.
Up here its slim pickins, but I find what I am looking for wherever I am ;) Even Doylestown had a couple good dive bars. The Oakford in in Oakford was a frequent stop here & there. Too many bars to remember. Even used to go to The Emire on the Boulevard in NE Philly and see Cinderella, Tease, Kix etc play back in the 80's.

Oops, didn't realize you were talking bout CO.

Arlo said:
12 years huh....I also moved out there in '96. I'm 36, I wonder if we know each other, 6 degrees like? Dave Fialko is the name, hung out with tenecki, gabe sanke, played pool at coops and T-Head regularly.

Nothing rings a bell...

I did work at Taco Bell (on College and Prospect) for several years and worked nights for a lot of that. So if you came home rowdy from the bar late at night and went through our drive-through I might have yelled at you... :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.