recommendations for loose stack hearth with rvalue of 3.0

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Rainey

Dec 1, 2012
i'm renting a home and the place has a wood burning chimney installed but no stove or hearth. my friend has a stove i can borrow for winter so i'm trying to come up with a cheap, temporary hearth option. i was going to get one of the hearth mats online that is up to UL 2 specs but the stove requires a hearth with an r-value of 3.0 which i can't find. and the stove will be sitting on a new hardwood floor so i want to make sure i don't cause damage. any suggestions?

i've read about loose stacks with some 24 ga sheet metal in the middle but i don't understand how that works. wouldn't the metal be conductive rather than resistive? so the heat would just pass through to whatever is underneath, right?

i've read a lot of good things about micore but it's hard to find and i would have to stack it 3 high to get the resistance i need and would probably have to throw wonderboard on top of that to distribute the weight of the stove.

open to new ideas. thanks.

-jacob

Not sure how much you are looking to spend, but I know TractorSupply has hearth pad for 50-80 bux, depending on the size you need which have an r-value of 1.5. I see no reason they couldn't be stacked. Or, you could use durock under, and put a pre-made hearthpad on top?

Try some business salvage / recycling places for the micore. From what I understand, the guts of many cubicles is made of micore.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.