Recommendations for my fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LakeFall

Nov 22, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm new to wood burning and have a fireplace that I would like to put an insert in. I'd like something that could potentially heat the whole house (1900 sq ft), low maintenance, and looks good. I was hoping the 2 story room that the fireplace is in would help let warm air rise to the 2nd floor and the cooler air would fall back down. Are there inserts that have thermostats that can vary fan speed to keep temperature steady? How about tying the system into the existing thermostat and using the aux heat controls to adjust fan speed and also run the central air blower to circulate air to every room? My budget isn't limitless but I do prefer value over price.

FP.jpg

I’m surprised the BK fan club hasn’t jumped on this. Blaze King, a big maker of catalytic woodstoves, has three inserts that have a thermostatic control. It doesn’t regulate the fan but rather the air allowed into the firebox. They’re touted for maintaining even heat and having long burn times. Every year there’s a massive “Blaze King Performance Thread” (or two or three), so you could visit that and ask for pictures or info from insert users. There aren’t as many of them, but the numbers have been growing.

It could be a good stove for a North Carolina climate. We had bought a Princess Insert in Virginia but had to relocate before we ever installed it. It would be worth researching, though, and this may bump your thread back to the top and get you some other suggestions as well.

So I think moving forward deciding what “potentially” means to you is important. Our heating demands are not huge in N.C. but we need to be realistic about how much you want to heat with wood. Supplement 50% or less. Heat 80% or more on a regular basis or just have back up heat for a power outage.
There is quite a selection of inserts and your choices go up even more if you want to consider a hearth mounted wood stove. Starting my second year with my stove I’m trying to heat 2000 sq ft with a 1.8 cu ft stove and here in Wilmington. When it gets cold (Lows below 25 and highs below freezing) the stove can’t keep up. For the other 90% or more of the time it’s fine.
If steady heat is important loom at the Blaze king line of inserts. Other wise realize that most wood burning appliances burn in cycles and don’t really offer steady heat. Be thinking about how much firewood you will need and where you are going to get it from.

Thanks for the info, particularly the Blaze King. It sounds like what I'm looking for but do people have problems with air getting choked and then causing maintenance issues later? I have a ton of trees here and I'd like to try saving a bit of $ on heating this winter.

Thanks for the info, particularly the Blaze King. It sounds like what I'm looking for but do people have problems with air getting choked and then causing maintenance issues later? I have a ton of trees here and I'd like to try saving a bit of $ on heating this winter.
Is that a masonry fireplace? I can't tell from that pic if it is a masonry fireplace with a set of doors or if it is a prefab faced in stone