Recommendations for new EPA and HUD approved wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StihlHead

OK, so I have a manuf. home in Oregon. My older OAK Earth Stove is showing signs of age, and it needs to be replaced before next year. That means I need an EPA stove to satisfy the new Oregon stove laws (or a stove that is approved by Oregon DEQ), and that has an OAK option to satisfy the HUD requirements. Casting about, there seems to only be a rather limited number of EPA stoves that are also designed with an OAK available. Some I have come up with are:

Napoleon 1100, 1400, 1450 and 1600 (fairly spendy)
Century EPA ($600 at ACE HW)
US Stove 2000 ($800 with shipping at Home Depot, but it includes a built in fan)

Any advice on these or other stoves out there that meet both EPA and HUD requirements?

How much space are you trying to heat? How well insulated is your house? How big is the firebox on that earth stove?

Earth Stove larger model 705 ES. Firebox inside dimentions of brick are 18 deep x24 wide x16 inches. Home is a 56x24 dubba wyde, apx. 1350 sq ft. Ceilings are low; 7.5 ft high and flat. I also have a attached unconditioned sunroom that is another 300 sq ft. that I half heat with the sliding glass door open. Elevation is 1000 feet in the west slopes of the Cascades, it snows here in winter (past year 3+ feet). Insulation is OK, post 1977 HUD home, 2x4 exterior insulated walls, ceiling are R25 or so and floors are R19. Skirting and concrete around perimiter (half and half). Windows are all double glased. Currently no heat pump (its DOA) or furnace, I heat only with wood and two plug in oil heaters for the back rooms when it gets really cold (10 deg. F was the low last year, so far this year 24 deg. F is the low and no snow). Stove does OK with an added box fan at side set on medium to blow the heat around the house which is a fairly open design. The stove has a built in fan but it is pretty old and noisy, and it is too small to be very effective.

Most of the stoves I looked at had an OAK option. Lopi and Hearthstone are 2 of the brands I looked at that had the option. I think the Jotul's did too but it was a while ago.

That's a pretty big stove for that space. Do you ever have to pack it full to keep the house temps up? What size chimney do you have? What's your budget?

Budget is based on the fact that this is a trailer, and the cheaper the better. No more than $1,000. I am not planning on staying here more than two more years. I may also fix/replace the heat pump. The trailer is plumbed for a furnace/heat pump system. I was thinking of tapping into that with a stove, but it gets complicated fast. Stove pipe is a 6 in., reduced from 8 in at the stove top.

I rarely pack my stove full for the same reason I rarely packed my OWB full, as you wind up making charcoal out of a lot of the wood that way. It cooks off the wood gasses in slow roasting mode. I am not really needing any longer burn times than 10 hours, and I typically load it with two 16 inch by 4-6 inch half logs at a time during the day and feed it as needed. Temps here vary so much (55 out today, 35 out yesterday, 25 out most of last week). Below 20 degrees, I will pack it full though. I keep this place above 60 all the time, and typically 65-68 during the day.

MarkinNC said:
Most of the stoves I looked at had an OAK option. Lopi and Hearthstone are 2 of the brands I looked at that had the option. I think the Jotul's did too but it was a while ago.

+1

I'd say that most of the EPA stoves out there have an OAK option. You should find an abundance of stoves to choose from.

Good luck,
Bill

I just saw a US stove 2000 at Tractor Supply yesterday for $499. This is also the price that my Dad paid. I'd check out some of the Drolet Stoves too. I think most of the Century stoves are pretty small.

Wow, that is cheap. Any way to get them to ship it here? TSC have them listed in the west US at $700 in California, but that is without sales tax. They do not have any in Oregon (other than in Oregon, OH). The local Home Depot price is $739, not including shipping. Appliance Connections sells the same stove for $924, and Lowes has them for a whopping $1,100. I imagine I can get a better deal later in the year off-season...

I see that US Stove 2000s are certified in WA state too, meaning they pass the most stringent of requirements on wood stoves, which is a good thing for future laws that are likely to be passed.

leeave96 said:
MarkinNC said:

+1

I'd say that most of the EPA stoves out there have an OAK option. You should find an abundance of stoves to choose from.

Good luck,
Bill

One would think that, but in my case of actually looking into the details of many EPA stoves available out there, many are not HUD certified. It is more of an either/or thing, but not both.

Do you have a D&B near by? I know we have a few on the east side but wasn't sure about your area. They have had the heatilator eco-choice stoves on sale for awhile now. I think the WS18 was around 1K. Alot of folks on here have raved about the Englander stoves and they are available through Home Depot. Both state that they have OAK kits available and are mobile home approved.

StihlHead said:
Wow, that is cheap. Any way to get them to ship it here? TSC have them listed in the west US at $700 in California, but that is without sales tax. They do not have any in Oregon (other than in Oregon, OH). The local Home Depot price is $739, not including shipping. Appliance Connections sells the same stove for $924, and Lowes has them for a whopping $1,100. I imagine I can get a better deal later in the year off-season...

I see that US Stove 2000s are certified in WA state too, meaning they pass the most stringent of requirements on wood stoves, which is a good thing for future laws that are likely to be passed.

If you're looking for deal you may want to try Northern Tools. They have some of the best deal on the internet and reputable. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_heaters-stoves-fireplaces

They carry Drolet, Century (which we make), US Stoves and Vogelzang.

Washington state approved means the emissions are below 4.5 g/hr. It very likely the new EPA will adopt this as their new regulations. So make sure when you're shopping the units are below that.

Yah, I have looked at Northern Tool. Their prices are OK but shipping is really steep. $200-300 to ship here.

I asked the guys at the local HD and they no longer carry wood stoves, online sales only. Which is why the blowout prices for the models listed in the replies above.

After looking around, I am narrowing it down to Englander and US Stove. Both are available at Home Depot for a nominal shipping cost (like $55 for the US Stove 2000, several of the Englander stoves have free shipping). I am leaning toward the US Stove 2000 for the size, cost and needed features. I presume that my Earth Stove is less efficient and the smaller new stoves will crank about as much heat. The US 2000 with an OAK delivered to the local HD store is $852. Same model elsewhere is upward of $1,200. The Englander 1800 (13 NCH) is $1,050 with free shipping.

Definately looking at WA/CA approved stoves. Both the US and Englander stoves are non-catalytic but beat the EPA Phase II requiremets of 7.5 G/hr. Both are HUD approved and have OAK available. Both are approved in WA and CA. May as well go the whole 9 yards. WA State is 4.5 g/hr for non-cat stoves (future EPA phase III?).

StihlHead said:
Yah, I have looked at Northern Tool. Their prices are OK but shipping is really steep. $200-300 to ship here.

I asked the guys at the local HD and they no longer carry wood stoves, online sales only. Which is why the blowout prices for the models listed in the replies above.

After looking around, I am narrowing it down to Englander and US Stove. Both are available at Home Depot for a nominal shipping cost (like $55 for the US Stove 2000, several of the Englander stoves have free shipping). I am leaning toward the US Stove 2000 for the size, cost and needed features. I presume that my Earth Stove is less efficient and the smaller new stoves will crank about as much heat. The US 2000 with an OAK delivered to the local HD store is $852. Same model elsewhere is upward of $1,200. The Englander 1800 (13 NCH) is $1,050 with free shipping.

Definately looking at WA/CA approved stoves. Both the US and Englander stoves are non-catalytic but beat the EPA Phase II requiremets of 7.5 G/hr. Both are HUD approved and have OAK available. Both are approved in WA and CA. May as well go the whole 9 yards. WA State is 4.5 g/hr for non-cat stoves (future EPA phase III?).
Well, I'm about to blow your mind, buddy. Go to home depot's website. Use the zip code of "17111" find the 13-NCH. Get it shipped to your door for the low price of 649 (plus tax). FREE shipping.

OK, so I set the HD store selector to Harrisburg, PA (my most recent ex was born there) and plugged in wood stoves, and sure enough the Englander 1800 is indeed a whopping $400 less. No sales tax here in Oregon... they also have the attached air blowers there for $124/189. Hot doggie!

I cannot find the OAK to go with that model on the HD web site though. Hunting for it online...

Cool beans!

I also see that I can get a Eng-30 there online for $899, so for $150 less than a Eng-13 here I can get an Eng-30?!?! (no dancing smileys on this site?)

Status
Not open for further replies.