Recommendations for purchasing a Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharon26

Dec 28, 2011
upstate new york
In the market to buy a newer pellet stove.

Can anyone recommend what might be a good -- low maintenance stove to purchase?

Needs to heat at least a 2500 sq. foot area.

Thanks very much.

Reactions: riverat
There are a lot of great stoves out there. I would start by seeing what brands your local dealers carry. I would make sure that they stock parts and also do maintenance and installs, themselfs. I would stay away from dealers that only sell you the stove. In the case that the stove breaks down you really want the dealer to be able to assist you. On that note because of the Sq ft you are trying to heat, i would recommend a large stand alone unit. They can push more BTU's than the fireplace insert units and would do a better job keeping you warm not to mention larger hoppers.

Thanks very much.
The more you can tell us about your current situation, house layout, where the stove might go, what you currently use for heat, and how much do you use, etc., the better advice you'll get.

Thanks for the replies. We currently have an Afton Bay, St. Croix stove - about 12 years old - runs great - heats great - but I want to purchase a newer one after this season cause this thing always needs some kind of part, etc. Right now we are waiting for a control board to come in.

It heats up to 1800 sq. feet and does the job very well.

Someone we know got a new Harman pellet stove and loves it - very low maintenance.

So was just curious what you guys recommended.

We heat mostly with the pellet stove and very rarely use our furnace.

Thanks.

Hard to wrong with a Harman if you have a solid local dealer. I'm very happy with mine. No drama, just put the pellets in and keep it reasonably clean. I haven't owned anything other than a Harman so I can't comment on other brands. I do see a great amount of discussion about adjustments on other brands that I don't understand. I just set the thermostat and let her heat the place. I keeps the house in a two degree range no matter the pellet or the outside temperature.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you. Ended up going with an ashley 5660l. I love it. I was getting prices for stoves from 2500$ low to 5600$ high without install. I did hvac for 10 years prior so that helped my decision along. Could not justify those prices especially since I have a 97% efficiency furnace with a gas valve and blower motor that learn heating habits and adjust gas flow and blower motor speed automatic for efficiency. I got that furnace for 1000$ my pro price. If I installed it for a customer it woulda been around 4000$. So again I though the stove prices where insane for some of these stoves. Beautiful and proven stoves yes but I couldnt justify it in my mind. So I found the ashley at tractor supply. Thought it was a great looking stove for my home lay out . And it was a fair price. I pulled the trigger and couldnt be happier. Yes parts are definitely going to fail eventually maybe sooner or later than other stoves. Man made it so it has flaws and will fail eventually like any other machine around. Thats how I viewed my shopping experience and how I picked. But it comes down to your personal tastes and budget. But good luck whatever you decide your going to love the pellet stove world.

I was in the same boat as you. Ended up going with an ashley 5660l. I love it. I was getting prices for stoves from 2500$ low to 5600$ high without install. I did hvac for 10 years prior so that helped my decision along. Could not justify those prices especially since I have a 97% efficiency furnace with a gas valve and blower motor that learn heating habits and adjust gas flow and blower motor speed automatic for efficiency. I got that furnace for 1000$ my pro price. If I installed it for a customer it woulda been around 4000$. So again I though the stove prices where insane for some of these stoves. Beautiful and proven stoves yes but I couldnt justify it in my mind. So I found the ashley at tractor supply. Thought it was a great looking stove for my home lay out . And it was a fair price. I pulled the trigger and couldnt be happier. Yes parts are definitely going to fail eventually maybe sooner or later than other stoves. Man made it so it has flaws and will fail eventually like any other machine around. Thats how I viewed my shopping experience and how I picked. But it comes down to your personal tastes and budget. But good luck whatever you decide your going to love the pellet stove world.

how is the maintenance with this stove

I have been burn pellets for over 15 years. My old stove (Whitfield) is still working great for my brother. I currently have a Enviro Maxx that I love, great stove very little cleaning. I also like the Harman p61a. Have a friend that has one an it is a great stove also. Enviro and Whitfield stove used to share info and data as they had the same parent company back in the day. Whitfield sold off and in now made by Lenox. Lenox stove are not as good as the old whit's. Harman is a great stove need very little cleaning also. It is all about the stove you like and can afford. Both stove will last many years and are low maintenance.

Where in upstate NY are you? I am from Kingston area.

Thanks for the replies. We currently have an Afton Bay, St. Croix stove - about 12 years old - runs great - heats great - but I want to purchase a newer one after this season cause this thing always needs some kind of part, etc. Right now we are waiting for a control board to come in.

It heats up to 1800 sq. feet and does the job very well.

Someone we know got a new Harman pellet stove and loves it - very low maintenance.

So was just curious what you guys recommended.

We heat mostly with the pellet stove and very rarely use our furnace.

Thanks.
If you've been happy with the St. Croix, why change brands ?????????? They still make new ones, work basically the same, especially if you do the routine stuff yourself, familiarity is a wonderful thing ........... plus, if ya keep the old one a lot of the parts make good spares ......................

Reactions: chken
I prefer my Harman over my St. Croix, but both do the job that I need. The Haman has an extension, so can go 30+ hours before filling. That was very important when I got it as my commute was at least 3 hours (both ways - in good weather), I worked 12+ hours a day, and I live alone so there is no one else to help with any of the daily chores (or snow blowing/shoveling). I needed a stove that wouldn't need any maintenance all week, and could go long periods between filling. The Harman is super easy on a daily basis as I just drag out the leading ashes and scrape the pot (maybe 10-20 seconds) and top off the pellets when I have time. The ash pan can go 2-3 weeks before emptying and the baffles are scraped every week or two. I do not do anything with the damper regardless of brand of pellet used. Keep in mind, I run fairly crappy pellets in the Harman, although I have run really good pellets when available..

This year, I got the St, Croix to supplement for the main living area so that I don't have to use any propane for heat at all. Although I preferred a Harman, my needs weren't so radical, and the used SC that I got was at the price I could afford. I have since gone to a 1.5 hour commute (both ways, in good weather) and 10 hour days. So, I have a bit more time to attend to the SC. I do have to fill it every 13-18 hours (I actually saw it run out of pellets this morning as I was getting up after starting with a full hopper about 3 PM yesterday), and shake out the ashes from the pot into the ash pan, and take care of clinkers if/when they form, and scrape the baffles at least once per day. I also HAVE to empty the ash pan once a week. And, I run somewhat better pellets in the St. Croix. It can also be a bit picky with the damper adjustment depending on pellets used.

The Harman is the workhorse that I needed last year, and does the heavy lifting even now. The St. Croix is supplement heat, and it does a very good job at that (I'm not saying it couldn't do heavy lifting, just that I don't ask it to - it is almost always on heat level #1 - so far).

Reactions: bags and Big papa
I have the Harman XXV, wanted the P68 but the boss said she wasn't putting something that looked like a toilet in the living room.

I clean the stove once a week (could go longer if I wanted to) and feed it pellets. Set it and forget it.

Harman and low maintenance go hand in hand. Very happy with mine. Very dependable and "cleaning" is not a daily nor weekly thing vs. many stoves. Not trying to start a brand war. Just stating the facts. It's your life, time, and your cash. I liked mine so much I bought another one. It's great too.

Quick pot scrape daily while it's running and feed it pellets. That simple.

Bogieb has both so I'd really take what she says as holding a decent amount of weight. "There's your sign", as Bill E. says.

Reactions: F4jock
I love my harman as well one of the best purchases I've made.easy to maintain and reliable.

Harman is probably the most expensive. Worth it for me by all the reasons listed. I have a P68 for the main part of the house and a P43 for the back side. I needed 2 because I live in an old 1880's home with 11' ceilings on 2 floors. I have never regretted my Harman's. Monthly thorough cleaning (exhaust, fines box, baffles and pot) weekly pot and baffles and daily pot scrape. 1 hour/10 minutes/2minutes respectively. Keeps on trucking. I use 6-8 ton per year so far on average. We zone heat so both aren't running the same. Turn up only in the area of the house we are at. In below single digits weather I do set the stoves lower to allow my gas heat to kick on so no frozen pipes. It may cycle on 1 time per hour for 15 minutes. Learned that lesson last year. Before stoves the gas would run 24/7 on 0 degrees days. Working on better insulation which is ongoing. Better every year. Love the stoves and love the heat. Each home is different and you have to learn what is best.

Last edited:
Reactions: bags

Thanks very much.
For your square footage I would recommend a P61 or a P68 if your trying to heat the hole house but if if your home is newer with good insulation,windows and doors you may get away with a lower BTU unit

Reactions: bags
Sharon26,
I will add that I am doing 2 stories and 2,350 SQ FT with my P68. Lots of big windows and glass doors. Higher vaulted ceilings in the majority of my house too. Fairly open plan though which helps. I needed the 68 and it does it well. The 61 might work too but I like the little extra insurance.

I also have a PC45 I bought a month after the 68. I am going to be doing what TonyVideo is with the zoning. The PC45 is similar to his P43 in that regard and BTU's. Well the P43 is 43K BTU and the 45 is 45K or 50K with the pellet set up so we are close enough to be the same IMO. My house is bigger than the 2,350 SQ FT core we mainly use which the 68 handles very well.

If you want to do the whole 2,500 SQ FT the P68 is what you want or another higher BTU unit. You will need it in the cold of Upstate. Is the St Croix good to go for some more hard use? You might be OK with that and another unit running in tandem or each stove as needed.

Reactions: Big papa
We have 3000sqft with 2 floors like I mentioned above. II's cooler upstairs but we like it cold for sleeping. The P68 wasn't big enough as the back side of the downstairs just 2 cool at time. Had to run the 68 too warm to get temp on back to 65. Zoning was better in the long run. Also dropping the temp at night on very cold nights to try and save pellets was counterproductive as it took too long to get Temps back up. 2 stoves solved that as well. Shoulder season I rarely us the back on. 30-50 degree nights only use the 43 at night primarily and during the day as needed in room temp only as it is cooler. Sub 20 both run 24/7. P68 in stove temp mode and when it gets colder gas kicks in when needed to keep pipes from freezing.

We have 3000sqft with 2 floors like I mentioned above. II's cooler upstairs but we like it cold for sleeping. The P68 wasn't big enough as the back side of the downstairs just 2 cool at time. Had to run the 68 too warm to get temp on back to 65. Zoning was better in the long run. Also dropping the temp at night on very cold nights to try and save pellets was counterproductive as it took too long to get Temps back up. 2 stoves solved that as well. Shoulder season I rarely us the back on. 30-50 degree nights only use the 43 at night primarily and during the day as needed in room temp only as it is cooler. Sub 20 both run 24/7. P68 in stove temp mode and when it gets colder gas kicks in when needed to keep pipes from freezing.
Hey Tony, What kind of pellet consumption are you getting running the two stoves? So far this season and last year in tons? Thanks

8 tons last year. Bought 9 this year. What really eats my pellets is single digit or below temps even when using gas 15 min per hour at those temps. I blame that on an old home.

Status
Not open for further replies.