Recommendations for purchasing a Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took me a while to tweak the setup of all 3 heat sources. Gas only to keep pipes from freezing a very cold temps. Knowing when and what settings for the stoves took me a while to optimize pellet usage. Ceiling fan in the room with the 68 was a huge benefit with 11' ceilings.

8 tons last year. Bought 9 this year. What really eats my pellets is single digit or below temps even when using gas 15 min per hour at those temps. I blame that on an old home.
I have 8 tons stocked for this year but thinking 6 will do the trick. Your old house and high ceilings don't help much. I use to live in an 1880's home so I can relate there. I have 5 bags left of the second ton and 12/18 will be exactly 2 months of burning here. So current average is a ton a month. Not too bad considering. Haven't been running the 45 yet though either.

Sorry to deviate off topic.

Last year forced me into more pellets the better just in case. Without tweaking I could see burning through 10 ton easily with 2 stoves. Tweaking should be another whole thread. :)

Harman/Craigslist...you can't lose

Depending on how cut up the floor plan is, I would consider 2 smaller stoves instead of one large one.

The issue of breakdowns is a biggy, and they never happen in July when it's warm.

Multiple small to mid size stoves is the ticket in many cases.

Keep your current unit and add a small to mid size unit elsewhere in the house.

You at least then have a backup.

There is not a pellet stove made that will not need something fixed, and it never happens at an opportune time.

The more electronics and fancy gizmos, the more apt there is to have a failure.

Good luck

Another point and a reason I made the moves I did. Failure rates on Harmans are very, very low. That costs money though. Go visit your friend you quoted and talk it all over.

Depending on how cut up the floor plan is, I would consider 2 smaller stoves instead of one large one.

The issue of breakdowns is a biggy, and they never happen in July when it's warm.

Multiple small to mid size stoves is the ticket in many cases.

Keep your current unit and add a small to mid size unit elsewhere in the house.

You at least then have a backup.

There is not a pellet stove made that will not need something fixed, and it never happens at an opportune time.

The more electronics and fancy gizmos, the more apt there is to have a failure.

Good luck
Yes but a harman is highly rated to not have these issues often. And a harman comes with a nice warranty plus a dealer to help.not all stoves have that,just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.