Recommendations on a long-burning stove for basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PutAwayDry

Jan 1, 2021
New Hampshire
Happy New Year, everyone! I apologise in advance if this has been asked before / often, but in my quick search I couldn't find a similar thread.

I've got a 2,500 sf house with full unfinished basement that I'm considering putting a large stove in. I've got an existing 8" flue in the basement that's in good shape.

I'm looking for recommendations for a stove that is safe, relatively forgiving to use, and offers long burn times. Bonus would be if I could figure out how to tie it in to my existing duct work...

I'd love to hear some recommendations!

Thanks!!

Take a look at the new Drolet wood furnaces. Only a furnace can be tied into the ductwork.

@brenndatomu

Any knowledge of this model you can convey?
Yes, avoid it like the plague, covid, Ebola, and aids, all in one! They are that bad...use the search feature here to look up FC1000e, or SF1000e...same unit, different color

Take a look at the new Drolet wood furnaces. Only a furnace can be tied into the ductwork.
This!
Or if you have the budget (cry once and all...) a Kuuma VF100.

A BK Ultra with a return air duct above ceiling. I have 2 12" flex duct above the stove. Run furnace blower on low. Works great
A return duct must be at least 10 ft away from the stove according to mechanical code.

Insulate the walls first.
Yes. If the intent is to heat from the basement with a stove, then sealing the rim joist and insulating the walls will make a huge difference. Without insulating the walls, up to 1/3 of the fuel burned will be heading straight out through the walls.

Reactions: Indianawood
Thanks, guys. I like the looks of the Kuuma and after watching their homemade videos I would buy just about anything from that guy. I guess it's time to start saving up...

I've been thinking about insulating the basement - I'm likely looking at a couple grand or more for that based on the sheer square footage of the walls though. Smarter people than me always say you get a better return on investment from insulation than you do from equipment efficiency. I don't really want to stud/fiberglass though. Foil faced iso or rigid styrofoam maybe?

Last edited:

Reactions: PutAwayDry
Thanks, guys. I like the looks of the Kuuma and after watching their homemade videos I would buy just about anything from that guy. I guess it's time to start saving up...

I've been thinking about insulating the basement - I'm likely looking at a couple grand or more for that based on the sheer square footage of the walls though. Smarter people than me always say you get a better return on investment from insulation than you do from equipment efficiency. I don't really want to stud/fiberglass though. Foil faced iso or rigid styrofoam maybe?
I used blue DOW 4'X8' sheets and attached them to the walls with foam board adhesive. My basement is a full workshop and will never be finished for a long as I own the house.
Don't care what the next owner wants because I'll be dead then.

• Haha
Reactions: moresnow