RECOMMENDATIONS ON A SURGE PROTECTOR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
need a surge protector for my harman xxv.see tripp lite has great reviews but not sure on what to get
i see 2 plug outlet ones rated at 1400 joules and 8 outlet rated at 3300 joules
since i have about 5 other things to plug in should i get a 8 outlet one over a 2 or should i put the stove on a seperate one?
if the 2 outlet is rated at 1400 does that mean 700 each outlet or protects up to 1400 surge?
so would the 8 outlet protect from a 3300 spike or is it 412.5 for each outlet?
adivce always appreciated

If all your devices are nearby, there's no reason why you wouldn't get the higher joule surge protector. In general, the surge's max capacity for energy applies to each and every outlet.

Don't think of surge in terms of outlets, think of the surge as being at the plug - because that's where it's coming from.

The # of joules is the maximum surge it will stop from getting to whatever is plugged in. Bigger is better, and this is a realm where name brands that offer protected equipment warranties matters - like Tripp Lite and APC. The no-name stuff may not really live up to the rating, if they don't stand behind it you can guess it won't. Kind of like how no-name stereo gear tended to be advertised as "peak watts" versus the good names with the true RMS power ratings.

HP52Nova is right on point though, if you have a stove that will talk to a UPS that is your best bet. The clean shutdown is a no-brainer. One answer may be to buy a cheapie (in other words disposable) $5 surge unit while saving for the UPS.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.