Recommendations on USA-made splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 8, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
I'm looking for advice on buying a new splitter, and I don't want one with any chinese made hydraulics. Does anyone use a good quality splitter that has American-made or North-American Made components?
Honda engines are good, but I don't want to lose any fingers because of poor quality chinese cylinders.
I would be willing to pay more than what the cheapies are going for, to get better quality.

Any advise?

I like where your heads at. Could you share what you mean by cheap chinese cylinders? Do you mean the ram or are Honda cylinders made in China?

Medman said:
I'm looking for advice on buying a new splitter, and I don't want one with any chinese made hydraulics. Does anyone use a good quality splitter that has American-made or North-American Made components?
Honda engines are good, but I don't want to lose any fingers because of poor quality chinese cylinders.
I would be willing to pay more than what the cheapies are going for, to get better quality.

Any advise?

American CLS Woodsplitter, its a great woodsplitter.

Zap

I got an American CLS AM-24v in the Fall.. Made in Rochester NY with all American parts. The Briggs 6.5hp with the 13 gpm pump make a very fast cycle time. The splitter is built like a tank and will last longer than forever. American is a family run company and have a wide variety of splitters to fit your needs. Just call them to find a local dealer or they will ship one to you.

American (as previously stated), Timberwolf and Iron & Oak are the first 3 that come to mind.

Chinese made hydraulic cylinders, like those used by MTD and TSC-brand splitters, have been implicated in a few amputations due to the detachment of the rod from the internal stop - this causes the sudden and rapid extension of the ram, ususally when the operator is not ready. This has not happened with cylinders made in the US or Canada.
Engines are a different story. Subaru or Honda engines are great, and tend to be quieter/more efficient than B&S or Tech engines.

Thanks for the recommendations. Iron and Oak is one brand I had looked at already. Keep the ideas coming!

Speeco made/assembled in North America?
In 2008, they were bought by "pfingsten partners" but I thought they had a plant in the Chicago area. (Maybe that's just the headquarters.)
Assembled in the USA may be the best you can do. I don't think the US makes much steel anymore. Splitters are 95% steel.
Good luck, let us know what you find.
I do like your way of thinking, I try all the time to do the same thing but the new label is "assembled in the USA". (like GM & Ford)
Still, assembly is jobs.

Anyone that has a Speeco - could you check the manufacture location of the hydraulic cylinder? This is my primary concern.

As for steel manufacturing, you're right, to a point. Here in my town (Sault, Canada) we still make steel, and lots of it. Our specialty used to be sheet and parts for the auto industry, but we all know where that has gone. In the past ten years we have diversified into specialty plate products used in armor plating and military vehicles - and business is good, thanks to Iraq and Afghanistan. Also, a lot of our rolled steel product is going to India and China, because while the Chinese can make cheap steel, they can't make good steel, and structural uses call for quality and strength. It's ironic that Canadian steel is being used to build new steel mills in China.

Anyone out there have a Wallenstein splitter? I have just looked at the specs and they look good for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.