Recommendations & Questions on Gas Logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel

Oct 12, 2007
I've gone from considering gas logs to a direct vent gas insert and now back to gas logs.
I'm having a hard time deciding because our winters (in eastern NC) are mild to moderate, and I worry that a DV gas insert would produce too much heat for my living room (it's about 20 ft. x 16 ft.). My house is only about 1400 sq. ft. I want a cozy fire to huddle around in my living room.

1. Does anyone have recommendations for gas logs?
2. Can you put glass doors around the fireplace opening as long as the logs are not burning (hoping to reduce heat loss in winter and cool air loss in summer).
2. What about Eiklor (www.eiklorflames.com). Are they worth the price (I was quoted around $1400-1500 for the 5-burner, 24 inch set; that includes installation as well). I saw a 30-inch set; very pretty and warm.

Seems like a lot of $$ for a set of gas logs. I can make the following suggestions....
(edit) now I see that includes installation and possible a 30" set, so not too bad)

Look carefully at the gas input- some sets use 1/2 the gas of others - that will add up!
If you want some cozy warmth, consider the sets with some radiant heat built in - you will have to do a bit of research to get past the advertising claims, but some sets project quite a bit of heat out in front.

example:
http://www.heatmasterlogs.com/HTML/champion.html
(see the glowing area that radiates heat forward)

Find a local or online retailer who can give you the proper advice as to what you want....if you don't care about heat at all, then you have a LOT of options, but if some heat is desired, either the radiant heat or vent-free (you can still open the damper some, and yet get the benefit of radiant heat and less gas use)....

Gas logs are gas logs IMO.... They are the same thing now as they were 20 years ago. Burner pan with a tube in it, fill it with sand, heap a bunch of cemenet logs on top, and force gas through the sand.

BTW the glass door are required once the damper is taken out means must be provided to seal the opening in times not in use In this case glass doors fulfill code requirements

jtp10181 said:
Gas logs are gas logs IMO.... They are the same thing now as they were 20 years ago. Burner pan with a tube in it, fill it with sand, heap a bunch of cemenet logs on top, and force gas through the sand.

Not quite, since for instance Petersens G6 series uses about 40% less gas than their other series. That is a big savings on gas.

And there there is vent-free, which are highly efficient - but we all know the downsides!

A good compromise is that I used to call "partially vented", but they really don't use that name anymore - these were logs that allowed the damper to close part of the way, used less gas, and sometimes had a radiant projection area. But, as I said before, you have to be careful of the ad claims.....because they all make claims like that.

I was familiar with the Monesson Smartfire (that did this), as well as the Heatmaster radiant model. When you are in a temperate climate, that 10,000 BTU or so (of radiant heat) can really fill a room.

Yeah, in MN or NH winters they are not going to feel like much.....

Status
Not open for further replies.