Recommended bar lengths, inches/cm Usable cutting length, inches/cm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkinNC

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2010
Leicester, NC
I was rereading my owners manual the other day for my 372 XP. A couple of terms caught my eye. The first was "recommended." The 2nd was "usable cutting length."

I would interpret this to me that husqvarna is not saying you cannot run a longer bar. I imagine it is fine to run one with a standard chain on a 28 inch bar why not full skip on a longer bar. I know a lot of guys out west are running longer bars (yes I know the wood is softer).

The other is usable cutting length. I measured my 24 inch bar and it has 22.5 inches usable in front of the felling spikes/dawgs.

As a firewood cutter I don't think it will be any problem running a 30 or 32 inch bar with a full skip chain. If there is a problem it will be wearing this professional saw out cutting a few cords a year. Here is a guy cutting a dead elm with a 372 with a 36 inch bar and it looks like it is running fine to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKREq1bbJ7M

Opinions?

Mark, thats a great saw. If I was shopping that model would be on my short list. I dont think you'll have any trouble with a larger bar and chain. My 394xp is a little bigger and I've run up to 42 inch bar with no probs. Yes you do lose a little to mounting and dogs so you are correct.

one thing I've noticed that I rarely need anything above 24 inches but I do have 28,32 and 42 available if need be. I can see very little change in performance with any of these setups.

In fact I now have matched sets on .404 chain for the husky and the saw just cuts like butta. I just had a bunch of .404 chain (and bars) around so I figured why not.

My used 288XP has a 24" bar,my Poulan 475 has a 36" which came with the saw new in 1994 for the Alaskan Mill.The 288 is rated to pull a 48" B/C,the Poulan a 42".Both saws have the same bar mount pattern,the sprocket etc are the same.So I can use either bar on either saw to save some cash,they fit perfectly.Also when I get the 28" or 30" B/C combo in the future,that will work also.

The 288 has the "7th mount" stiffening spring & dual felling spikes,I lose about 1 1/2" capacity on whatever bar is installed at the time.That's not a problem though.The 7th mount really helps with the anti-vibes & keeps saw more rigid with longer bars,much less fatigue I've noticed.

Attachments

• Husky 288XP (2).jpg
    Husky 288XP (2).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 900
  • Husky 288XP (5).jpg
    Husky 288XP (5).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,122
MarkinNC said:
I was rereading my owners manual the other day for my 372 XP. A couple of terms caught my eye. The first was "recommended." The 2nd was "usable cutting length."

I would interpret this to me that husqvarna is not saying you cannot run a longer bar. I imagine it is fine to run one with a standard chain on a 28 inch bar why not full skip on a longer bar. I know a lot of guys out west are running longer bars (yes I know the wood is softer).

The other is usable cutting length. I measured my 24 inch bar and it has 22.5 inches usable in front of the felling spikes/dawgs.

As a firewood cutter I don't think it will be any problem running a 30 or 32 inch bar with a full skip chain. If there is a problem it will be wearing this professional saw out cutting a few cords a year. Here is a guy cutting a dead elm with a 372 with a 36 inch bar and it looks like it is running fine to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKREq1bbJ7M

Opinions?

I agree

MarkinNC said:
As a firewood cutter I don't think it will be any problem running a 30 or 32 inch bar with a full skip chain.
Opinions?

My 2171 can handle 28" full comp with no problem. The only issue you will have is if the oiler can keep up.

maxed_out said:
I dont think you'll have any trouble with a larger bar and chain. My 394xp is a little bigger and I've run up to 42 inch bar with no probs.
Skip chain or full comp?

wendell said:
The only issue you will have is if the oiler can keep up.
This is a problem? I just figured that the saw would still be running at X rpms and it wouldn't matter how long a chain you had on there. Or is the oil drawn out of the chain going through that much wood?

Longer bar & chain requires more oil to fully lube the chain. Oil disappears into the cut pretty quickly. On smaller saws with longer bars, it's possible to thin the oil a little to increase flow. ATF works well for me. I'm in the more lube the longer bars & chains last camp. A C

I'm not sure of the actual math, but I would expect that it would take twice as much oil to oil a bar that is twice as long. You need the tachifiers in the oil to help it hold on to the chain and bar so I would not be a proponent of doctoring the oil to try and get a too long of bar to work.

I have all my oilers turned up all the way no matter what bar length I am running. I'm gonna be on the lookout for a 30 or 32 inch bar on sale. I'll report the results back here.

MarkinNC said:
I have all my oilers turned up all the way no matter what bar length I am running. I'm gonna be on the lookout for a 30 or 32 inch bar on sale. I'll report the results back here.

Bailey's has 30" & 32" Oregon Power Match Plus b/c combos for $96 & $100 + shipping,respectively.I seen other brands there for a bit less,no chain included though

What the hell kind of firewood are you processing in North Carolina on a regular enough basis where a 32" b&c is worth the expense?

28 is much easier to run than 32 I have both the 32 is like new!

Thistle said:
MarkinNC said:

Bailey's has 30" & 32" Oregon Power Match Plus b/c combos for $96 & $100 + shipping,respectively.I seen other brands there for a bit less,no chain included though

mayhem said:
What the hell kind of firewood are you processing in North Carolina on a regular enough basis where a 32" b&c is worth the expense?

I cut a lot of stuff over 20 inches. I used every bit of my 24 inch bar last week on the red oak I cut. There are 3 larger trees (~30 inch range) that I can cut and I want the bigger bar for. Thank God I have a 70cc saw with a 24 inch bar, if I was running a 20 inch bar around here I would not be very efficient. I would rather buy a larger bar (and 2 chains) than a bigger saw.

mayhem said:

lol Yea 28 will handle almost anything. I use my 32 for milling and even on a modd.ed 460 and full skip its Crap!

smokinjay said:
mayhem said:

lol Yea 28 will handle almost anything. I use my 32 for milling and even on a modd.ed 460 and full skip its Crap!

So to be crystal clear your opinion is my saw will run like crap with bigger that a 28 on it? I looked up the 460 and see it's in the upper 70cc range.

I attached a picture of a Beech I cut last year. It was bigger than a full bar diameter. It has a significantly bigger brother that I want to cut this year that has been dead for at least 3 seasons. It's leaning on the edge of a ravine. I'd rather keep it simple on the back cut with a longer bar.

Attachments

• oct2010 062.jpg
    oct2010 062.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 376
No, it won't be crap and if you feel safer using it for your back cut, I'd say go for it. But, i sure wouldn't use it long. I really doubt the oiler is up to the task.

But, if it were me, I'd save the money and study up on how to take down a tree safely with a shorter bar. Personally, I doubt I would go longer than a 24" on a stock 372 (but then I do have other options so I can be more selective. ;-) )

MarkinNC said:
smokinjay said:
mayhem said:

So to be crystal clear your opinion is my saw will run like crap with bigger that a 28 on it? I looked up the 460 and see it's in the upper 70cc range.

I attached a picture of a Beech I cut last year. It was bigger than a full bar diameter. It has a significantly bigger brother that I want to cut this year that has been dead for at least 3 seasons. It's leaning on the edge of a ravine. I'd rather keep it simple on the back cut with a longer bar.

The saw will become very sticky, meaning it wants to stall more often and if you dont have a very light touch this becomes a real pain. That tree you have there I will bet a 24 inch will handle it faster than a 32......If your inseam is a 36-38 you may get some advantage walking on top of a log limbing it but thats a whole another color cat. If thats what you want go for it!

wendell said:
No, it won't be crap and if you feel safer using it for your back cut, I'd say go for it. But, i sure wouldn't use it long. I really doubt the oiler is up to the task.

But, if it were me, I'd save the money and study up on how to take down a tree safely with a shorter bar. Personally, I doubt I would go longer than a 24" on a stock 372 (but then I do have other options so I can be more selective. ;-) )

lol, To many wendall....24 would be alot more fun and if that 32 is really needed it may be time to phone a friend!

You can run a 32" full skip for that application, but the better and cheaper option would be to do it with a 24" bar

Status
Not open for further replies.