Recommended chaps for summer work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuolumne

Mar 6, 2007
Vermont
I have always used these Stihl full leg chaps (picture below). They are very comfortable, but very hot for summer work. They seem much thicker than other chaps I have seen. It has never been an issue since I've harvested most of my firewood in the winter. Now, I have several weeks of clearing in front of me where we're building our new home. The last two days have been exceedingly hot. Are those chaps that look like orange plastic comfortable? Do they offer the same level of protection? A front only chap would be much easier to get on and off. What do you folks recommend?

Attachments

• 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 437
I've been using the orange chaps lately-really makes your legs sweat, but they can be taken off easy. On me the legs tend to rotate some, exposing the inside of the legs, so I have to periodically rotate them back.

Front only would seem the only way to go if you still want any protection.

Or wear short in our current chaps. That helps too.

Carpniels

tuolumne said:
That's a novel idea...I don't own any shorts :(

I have a set of chaps from Labonville that are front only. I feel really weird wearing shorts underneath them. without the back of the legs, it makes me feel like I'm some kind of male stripper.. Like I should install a pole in my backyard and scare the neighbors!

jay

I have chaps also and they are big enough to fit a 400 pound gorilla. I think Baleys carries Kevlar blue genes. Wonder if they are more comfortable and cooler than chaps, but still protect enough.

Jay H said:
tuolumne said:

I have a set of chaps from Labonville that are front only. I feel really weird wearing shorts underneath them. without the back of the legs, it makes me feel like I'm some kind of male stripper.. Like I should install a pole in my backyard and scare the neighbors!

jay

Ya sure it doesn't feel like when you are in the examining room wearing that little open in the back thing the nurse gives you to put on?

I use the front chaps and they seem to provide protection where I need it. They are also hot in the summer. If that saw gets around behind me my legs are probably the least of the problems I am going to be dealing with.

BrotherBart said:
Jay H said:
tuolumne said:

jay

Ya sure it doesn't feel like when you are in the examining room wearing that little open in the back thing the nurse gives you to put on?

Now if somebody slapped some latex gloves on and tells you to bend over.....

Jay

HarryBack said:
why dont you just use the chaps you have now, but wear a thing with them instead...thats what i do! :cheese:

I think you are talking about the famous HarryBack "thong".

I wear the orange Stihl kevlar chaps, front only, and jeans, yes it is hot in the summer... I don't think there really is a cool alternative that can give the protection, after all what you are using for protection is a bunch of layers of fabric, no way to do layers without insulating... That said I'd expect the open back chaps to be a little cooler just by having more area exposed to the air. I'd almost go so far as to say that is an inherent problem with PPE in general, I can't really think of ANY PPE that is more comfortable to wear than normal clothing...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.