Recommended Installer is not insured

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmalibu

Oct 17, 2016
Rye
I just bought a free standing wood stove, and received two quotes for installation of the unit and a new class 1 chimney.

Both were recommended by the stove shop I bought from, and both installers cannot provide a insurance or a COI for the work.

My concern is that they will be working on my roof, and they could fall off, and I don't want to be liable.

These installers also tout decades of experience, and certifications from the manufacturers. So I'm wondering, Is it common practice for this industry to not carry coverage? Does my homeowners cover this risk?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a free standing wood stove, and received two quotes for installation of the unit and a new class 1 chimney.

Both were recommended by the stove shop I bought from, and both installers cannot provide a insurance or a COI for the work.

My concern is that they will be working on my roof, and they could fall off, and I don't want to be liable.

These installers also tout decades of experience, and certifications from the manufacturers. So I'm wondering, Is it common practice for this industry to not carry coverage? Does my homeowners cover this risk?
Keep looking for another contractor.
Jim

Sometimes, in rural areas, people don't carry coverage because they can't afford it or they don't want to claim income for the work they do. It doesn't mean they won't do a great job and won't be true professionals.

Are they much cheaper than an insured company? How much do you trust them? You could always write up a waiver before they do work if you are really worried. If I were in the city, I wouldn't take the chance, but I might be willing to have an uninsured guy do work for me if I had reliable word of mouth recommendations.

won't be true professionals.
If they do not have insurance to protect them and their customers they are not true professionals. No matter how good their work is things go wrong occasionally and the liability will fall on the homeowner in that event

Reactions: webby3650
For the benefit of the OP, who is viewing from Tapatalk (and therefore can't see signatures), I'll point out that @webby3650 sells and installs woodstoves, and @bholler is a CSIA certified chimney sweep / installer. Their advice is good.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Sometimes, in rural areas, people don't carry coverage because they can't afford it or they don't want to claim income for the work they do. It doesn't mean they won't do a great job and won't be true professionals.

Are they much cheaper than an insured company? How much do you trust them? You could always write up a waiver before they do work if you are really worried. If I were in the city, I wouldn't take the chance, but I might be willing to have an uninsured guy do work for me if I had reliable word of mouth recommendations.
Not being certified in one way or another is not a deal killer, I understand that in rural areas. Its expensive and is not required. If you had a buddy help you with the install I get it, and wouldn't expect them to have insurance. I just don't understand how anyone would be willing to run a business and not be willing to carry insurance.

They will probably also trim your trees and do your electrical/plumbing/hvac. Can't blame the guys for trying to make a living but not being insured isn't a risk I would be willing to take, the homeowners liability is just too much now that you know they are uninsured.

An argument could be made if you didn't ask and they didn't tell.

Not having insurance is a huge red flag. I run an auto repair shop and have to carry insurance. Would you let someone repair your car in your driveway with no insurance? What if the wheel falls off at 85 MPH afterwards? If I service your vehicle and a wheel falls off I have a 2 million dollar policy protecting you and those around you. ( for the record wheels do not fall off of the vehicles we service.)

Reactions: Ashful
Rye NH, Rye NY, or?
Perhaps we can give you a line on a recommended installer, but you also should be able to find an insured one by checking out certified chimney sweeps in your area (I can only assume the two quotes were NOT both from established sweeps, as I'd be surprised that neither had insurance).

I am curious about your question regarding a homeowner policy covering potential liability here. Anybody know? I imagine that even if it did, filing a claim would increase your premium or put you on the "ready-to-drop-coverage" list of your insurer.

I am curious about your question regarding a homeowner policy covering potential liability here. Anybody know? I imagine that even if it did, filing a claim would increase your premium or put you on the "ready-to-drop-coverage" list of your insurer.
Yes your insurance would cover it and yes it would make your rates go up but ultimately if you don't file a claim they could sue you because you are liable for anyone injured on your property not covered by other insurance.

Reactions: Ashful
Two things I didn't go "Cheap" on was the install and chimney quality/ safety. !!
I went with a small (5 man) company with full insurance and fed their families.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.