Recommended Splitting Axe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgt17ga

Dec 23, 2014
Bolivia
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would like your advice for the best splitting axe for our situation. Let me disclaimer this and say that I am not very familiar with different types of axes. I'm the director of a small orphanage in Bolivia. We cook our meals on a wood-burning stove, so we chop a lot of wood. We currently have an old felling axe that was on the property when I arrived and I'm looking to take back a better axe when I head back to Bolivia in two weeks (I'm home in the States for the holiday). A local sawmill donates their "scrap" lumber to us, so most of the wood we use comes from here (versus actually trees). We need an axe that will be best at splitting or cutting these thick and long pieces of lumber. I was recommended the Fiskars x25. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your help! God bless and Merry Christmas!

Fiskars x27 or x25 (shorter) Can't go wrong.:)

If you can't find the Fiskars brand,,,Gerber makes one similar.

Great! Thank you all very much! I appreciate the help!

A pair of steel toe boots wouldn't hurt as well. The thing is sharp!I slipped one time and cut a gash in a new pair of justin work boots! Luckily not all the way through

Last edited:
I have a fiskars Splitting Ax. I think it is different from the x25, with a head only about 2.5 lbs. It will split anything (almost), yet is small enough for an adult man to use with one hand should the occasion arise. I have taught lots of 11 and 12 year old boy scouts to use it.

Can't go wrong with the Fiskars X27. As stated above it is sharp. I used mine last season and this season. So far I have seen no reason to sharpen it. It comes plenty sharp and seems to hold that edge very well. I also like that it came with a handle/cover for the head. This protects your edge and you can hang it by the handle.

Fiskar's X25 or X27. Great tools. Much better than any alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.