Reconverting to Wood from Gas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarity

Sep 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
I have wood burning fireplace that was converted into gas by the previous owner. Looks like they drilled a hole, though the fire box and put a set of gas logs. Well I hate the propane gas company and I like the smell of real wood, also wood is cheap around here. I was planning on doing a fireplace remodel, though it was to hard to find a contractor that would give me a good price. They said I was looking at about $10,000 for the project. For a ZC ~$3k fireplace w/ new ~$1.5-2kchimney installed. In any case I think I will just attempt to update the fire place and convert it back to wood.

1) Can the hole in the fire box be patched some way?
2) I assume I need to get a chimney sweep to come out and inspect the chimney and tell me if it is okay to use?
3) I would like to replace the mantel which seems like there are lots of options
4) Can I put a blue stone around the hearth on top of the brick?
5) Any suggestions on replacing the current screen, it makes it look a little dated?

89591d1411472671-looking-suggestions-high-efficiency-wood-burning-fireplace-img_4603.jpg

For clarity is this a full masonry fireplace and chimney that was simply converted to gas or a zero clearance fireplace w/ gas option?

No this a Majestic No. D-282449 firebox w/ a non-masonry chimney. The chimney is in cased in a chase that has siding around the outside.

Then it has a lot of models that start with L2, L3, or L4. i.e. L42B, L42BR, L42BL

The fireplace was installed, when the house was built. The previous owner had someone drill a hole through the metal firebox, ran a gas line to a propane tank outside and they put these black pebbles, some electronics hooked up to the gas line and some fake logs. It is powered by a couple D cell batteries and comes with a remote control. My neighbor who has the same fire place burns wood.

the hole in the fireplace can be fixed in a variety of ways. depending on its size, a piece of stock metal can be attached to cover same if small maybe some fire cement.even some fiberglass just shoved in there will do.
not really sure what exactly you have. but in a general sense if it was initially created as a wood stove it really shouldn't be much of a hassle to get it retro'd.
gas stoves are very clean and non polluting. would prob have not affected the chimney a bit. getting it looked at can't hurt.
getting the gas/wood looking structure out the way is prob pretty easy. next its also very easy to just light a torch shaped paper fuel and see what draw exists. I'd do this after a chimney inspection but if you're a hands on guy just get up there with a strong light and c what you can c and report back.
ultimately, I suspect you have a pretty easy project. its romantic, wood and all that crackling stuff, but dont expect more than that without an insert, etc.

I don't think I can get an insert for this. I took this same question to houzz and a lot of people suggested removing the brick flanking the fireplace. I am assuming that is part of the "required" non-combustible material X distance from the fireplace. It looks like there is some firebricks in the back of the fireplace and not on the side. Though I think my neighbor with the same fireplace has firebrick on both sides. Can this be replaced?

Could a chimney sweep give tell me if my chimney and fireplace are okay to go and fix any problems? I can do the mantel an other aesthetics. I just don't want to burn down my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.