1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Record heat in the west...

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by StihlHead, Jun 30, 2013.

1. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Sweltering out here

heat wave.gif
    No, there is no such thing as global warming. The FF companies told me so...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    A good friend's car in Henderson, NV day before yesterday.

patty thermometer.jpg
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Now I remember why I was seriously considering talking with my HVAC company last year about adding A/C to my system. Seem to have more of this evil heat each year. But at least the humidity's not a problem. Open windows at night tend to cool the place down some. Maybe this year I'll make that call. I don't think this is gonna get any better over time. Rick
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I think the PNW has migrated out here. Been cool and rainy for a week.

What a difference a year makes. We ended June 2012 @ 106 degrees and .23 inches of rain for the entire month. June 2013 we had 8.79 inches of rain and a high of 75 yesterday.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, East/West coast weather has flipped this year. Our garden is loving it.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I've been sort of following the news on that heat. I sweat just thinking about it. I'm also reminded that 125 was recorded during this year's Bicycle Race Across America. That is tough riding in that heat.

The map also lies because we were nowhere near the 78 is shows. Our high was 70 and it is 64 right now. Feels great!
  7. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    108 today. it has been over 100 all week. We usually get a few weeks over 100 every year, a few weeks of freeze. Overnights are forecast to be in the mid 60's next week. I'll be able to shut off the AC and open a window at night.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

It finally cooled off here today, only 78 for a high. This is the first day I do not have to open my windows at night. I do not have A/C. It is supposed to be cool for a few days, and then head back up to about 90 here again this weekend and into next week.
  9. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Likewise here. Too chilly for me. We never broke 70 yesterday. 57 in the mornings. This marine air is supposed to burn off and return to golden orbs by tomorrow. Me and my tomatoes will welcome them.
  10. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    No global warming here.
    3 days last week around 80,
    but now 59°, clouds, rain showers. (48° last night)
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

We've had tropical moisture/humidity with relatively normal heat here in the mid-Atlantic. Gardens, flowers, etc....all are growing at record paces..
    That extreme heat is miserable, I hope you guys get a break soon out west. At the same time, I hope like crazy that heat doesn't make it east.....I hate 100+ degree days...
  12. DevilsBrew

DevilsBrew Minister of Fire

80s with high humidity here. I spent yesterday hiking and today outdoors at my second job. I'm exhausted. I could sleep for the rest of the weekend.