Record number of visitors today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Notice the little counter at the bottom of the main forum page - the most visitors ever was today! 219 at one time.

Most of those are "guests" and not logged into the board.

To clarify what this means, it shows that 219 people are on the site at the same time either in the forum or on another page that uses the same software as the forum - what we call Content Management Software. The entire site, however, it not yet switched over to this CMS yet, so there are actually more people than 219 on the site at one time. That number should increase as I move more content over to the CMS.

As a for instance, the ratings and the galleries are not counted......neither are the products page (busiest page on the site) or the dealer search (shops).

Anyway, it's always nice to look at that number and see it hit new highs. Next stop 250.......

Although that may not sound like a lot of people, that is the number who are here at approx. the same time, so imagine a store with 250 shoppers in it......

Interesting to watch....

You sure it was not all from a search engine bot? I have had that happen on sites I managed before. Some forums or CMS detect those search bots and don't track their sessions, and others think each hit is from a unique user.

I'll have to check it out - but the number might be even higher than that if I was being heavily crawled since, for instance, there are 2200 separate question and answer pages and of course thousands of forum pages, etc.

The number has went up even higher now, so I'll look at the real time logs and see who is coming and going - as you know, the robots identify themselves.

Congrats on a "legal" high Craig.

Ya did a great thing when you created the sight. No doubt about it. No matter what it has cost me in new stoves, liners, saws and PPE and time burned reading stuff and posting here. And here I thought I was happy before.

Damnit! I could have had a real life.

It might just be that Yahoo is causing the bump in visitors - the visitor count is by cookies of people visiting the site - but I see Yahoo slurping some stuff in the log files. The good news is that means they will have fresh copies of all of our docs. The bad news is that the number may be misleading!

I'm checking into it further and will look at the data another way....

Webmaster said:
It might just be that Yahoo is causing the bump in visitors - the visitor count is by cookies of people visiting the site - but I see Yahoo slurping some stuff in the log files. The good news is that means they will have fresh copies of all of our docs. The bad news is that the number may be misleading!

I'm checking into it further and will look at the data another way....

Years ago I spent way too much time looking at our site log files and not being able to find any correlation to actually selling anything.

If you have access to webalizer or Urchin they both show lots of good data by scanning the log files. Urchin is the best. Google has a new thing out after they bought out Urchin. http://www.google.com/analytics/index.html I have not used it but if they based it off the urchin code it should be awesome.

I'm using goggle analytics also, but since you have to embed the code on every page on the site, it will take while before I have it complete.....at least the original version scanned log files instead of having to have code on each page!

Just for fun, here are this weeks most popular articles- you can see the subject in most cases by the name.

Attachments

• Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 301
Status
Not open for further replies.