Rectangle Glass Fireplace Doors on Arched Opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NMoline

Apr 7, 2015
Indiana
I'm wondering if it is possible to install rectangle glass doors on an Arched opening fireplace. The custom fit Arch doors are terribly expensive compared to similar square doors.

My issue is we have a very strong "chimney" smell that enters the home when it's very humid outside. I recently had the chimney swept and inspected in November. On our previous home we had the same issue and even a top sealing damper didn't seem to solve the issue. I think my only choice is to install glass doors; however, I don't really have $1500-$3000 for some custom arched glass doors.

Is there any option for me to install rectangle doors overlapping the Arch?

The measurements are 34.25" across and 26" tall at the center of the arch.

For the money, it might be cheaper to clean the living poo out of the setup, install an EXTREMELY well sealed block off plate, on top of a new fireplace insert, and be set, since the new unit has a well sealed door, and you'd be working with an insulated liner that shouldn't build up the creosote you are smelling, so long as you burn well seasoned wood in the unit.

A unit like this would also give you the benefit of greater heat value into the home (whether it is running or not) versus most any traditional fireplace, as what you are asking to do sounds like a pretty custom situation.

I agree, clean the heck out of it paying close attention to the smoke shelf around the damper. A lot of crud can collect there and be missed by a rush cleaning job. Then I might be looking into this product as a less expensive alternative.
http://www.chimneyballoon.us/chimneyballoon.html

There is commercially available deodorizer available that a local sweep here had used for people before. Might be worth investigating.

And yes, having sold and installed doors myself you could just put them over the arch opening. Might need to be creative with mounting.

BUT I really doubt doors will solve the problem anyway unless you get air tight doors and then mortar them in, which won't be cheap.

Best bet might be clean clean clean, lock top damper AND a good lower damper. I have seen people drill a small hole for the wire from the lock top to allow it through the solid part of the existing damper, so the lower damper can be closed still. The issue with only the lock top is that air in the home will still naturally convect up into the flue and back down into the house as temperatures, humidity, and pressures change.

Status
Not open for further replies.