Rector seal differance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for one you could Google it. #5 is what I use in every day life as a pipefitter. Just got done doing 355' of 2 1/2" galvinized using nothing but #5 rectorseal. The pipe has 140* service water running thru it @80lbs. and was initally installed in the 1950's. The best thing in using threaded pipe no matter what is make sure the threads are sharp with no knicks and you get 3-5 turns by hand dry. Clamp the pipe in a vise, dope the male threads, and put a very small dab on the female threads. tighten by hand and go a couple more turns to tight using the right size pipe wrench. Using the right size pipe wrench with good teeth is important, as it gives you a better feel as to what is going on when tightening pipe. There is all kinds of dope and tape out there, as there are opinions as to what is the best. I've been pipefitting for over 20 years give me rector seal#5 and get the heck out of the way.

P.S. People say why do you put a nick of dope on the female threads? Well put the dope or tape on only the male threads and thread the pipe into the fitting, than back out. Hey where did the dope go, why its all pushed out and none on the threads that been threaded into the fitting. Thats why I put a very small dab on the female threads. Try it , back it off and you can see the difference as the male threads thread in you can see the dope running in front of the pipe. Again remember the screwed joint is ONLY as good as the threads making that joint.

Good post J. Bertoldi. I have installed perhaps a mile or more of high presure piping (3000 p.s.i.) using rector seal #5. No pipe dope on the first two threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.