1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Recycling Empty Pellet Bags

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by homebrewz, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    Does anyone recycle their empty pellet bags? Can they be recycled?

Thanks,
    homebrewz

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Homefire

Homefire New Member

Slash and burn baby burn! Dylan's retort to everything. They are made of plastic.

You can use them as trash bags stuffed as tightly as you like as they are a very strong plastic bag to hold 40# of wood.
    If you can find a bulk supplier of pellets then take the bags for a refill and tape them closed.
  3. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    I use mine as trash bags as well...they fit well in my 15 gallon kitchen trashcan.
  4. Homefire

Homefire New Member

Junior? LMAOROTF!
  5. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Yea, me too!
  6. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    We do. Our curbside recycle pickup takes them in the same bin as other plastics.
  7. penguins1

penguins1 New Member

We actually used ours in our garden. Placed them under mulch as weed preventers. Worked ok actually.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I've been advocating that the pellet industry take a part in recycling the bags for the past 5 years. We don't have ANY possible method for recycling the bags. The nearest location that will take these virgin polyvinyl bags is 180 mile south of here and they don't want to talk to you unless you have several tons. I really like using a waste product for fuel, but the bags are a negative spot on a great product. As an alternative, I'm am ready for bulk delivery when that becomes an option.
  9. drizler

drizler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chazy, NY 12921
    The local Hannaford supermarket takes plastic bags for recycyling. I use the bags to put the other plastic bags and light plastic trays and food packings in to recycle. You sure can cram a lot into one of those bags. That gets rid of over half my trash for free.
  10. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    I feel the same way, which is why I posted the recycling question. Thanks to all for the ideas/suggestions. This is my first year with a pellet stove and the bags are piling up! I'll contact my local recycling facility and see what they say as well.
  11. warminwisco

warminwisco New Member

I do use em for bulk pellets. Just stack em tight side by side in my van and I do not eeven tape the top $2.40 a 40# this way
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.