Recycling Empty Pellet Bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
Does anyone recycle their empty pellet bags? Can they be recycled?

Thanks,
homebrewz

Dylan said:
Whatta they made of?? Same stuff as brown grocery bags?? If so, BURN 'EM.

Slash and burn baby burn! Dylan's retort to everything. They are made of plastic.

You can use them as trash bags stuffed as tightly as you like as they are a very strong plastic bag to hold 40# of wood.
If you can find a bulk supplier of pellets then take the bags for a refill and tape them closed.

Dylan said:
homefire said:
Dylan said:

Slash and burn baby burn! Dylan's retort to everything. They are made of plastic.

You can use them as trash bags stuffed as tightly as you like as they are a very strong plastic bag to hold 40# of wood.
If you can find a bulk supplier of pellets then take the bags for a refill and tape them closed.

Hey Junior,

Where did I advocate burning plastic????

Please find the quote, and so inform me.

Junior? LMAOROTF!

homefire said:
Dylan said:
homefire said:
Dylan said:

Hey Junior,

Where did I advocate burning plastic????

Please find the quote, and so inform me.

Junior? LMAOROTF!

Yea, me too!

homebrewz said:
Does anyone recycle their empty pellet bags? Can they be recycled?

Thanks,
homebrewz

We do. Our curbside recycle pickup takes them in the same bin as other plastics.

We actually used ours in our garden. Placed them under mulch as weed preventers. Worked ok actually.

I've been advocating that the pellet industry take a part in recycling the bags for the past 5 years. We don't have ANY possible method for recycling the bags. The nearest location that will take these virgin polyvinyl bags is 180 mile south of here and they don't want to talk to you unless you have several tons. I really like using a waste product for fuel, but the bags are a negative spot on a great product. As an alternative, I'm am ready for bulk delivery when that becomes an option.

The local Hannaford supermarket takes plastic bags for recycyling. I use the bags to put the other plastic bags and light plastic trays and food packings in to recycle. You sure can cram a lot into one of those bags. That gets rid of over half my trash for free.

BeGreen said:
I've been advocating that the pellet industry take a part in recycling the bags for the past 5 years. We don't have ANY possible method for recycling the bags. The nearest location that will take these virgin polyvinyl bags is 180 mile south of here and they don't want to talk to you unless you have several tons. I really like using a waste product for fuel, but the bags are a negative spot on a great product. As an alternative, I'm am ready for bulk delivery when that becomes an option.

I feel the same way, which is why I posted the recycling question. Thanks to all for the ideas/suggestions. This is my first year with a pellet stove and the bags are piling up! I'll contact my local recycling facility and see what they say as well.

I do use em for bulk pellets. Just stack em tight side by side in my van and I do not eeven tape the top $2.40 a 40# this way

Status
Not open for further replies.