Recycling Paper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At my office, I have a box under my desk for paper that I need to shred. Instead of shredding, I will occasionally empty the box into my stove. Aside from burning celophane plastic in junk mail, are there any other problems associated with the ink or other printing on the paper itself? I have noticed it can leave a sticky black film on the glass door when I burn paper, but it's never been a problem once you burn some really hot fires afterwards when the black film is cleaned off.

I always thought it was a bonus to get that extra heat from paper that would otherwise be put into a landfill. Paper pumps out alot of radiant heat instantaneously.

I don't like burning paper "en masse." Depending on the paper if it burned very rapidly you could wind up with a chimney fire or w/ bits of paper plugging up a chimney cap.

I realize you are talking paper and not cardboard here, but I mentioned this in another thread so I might as well mention it again: 3 of the last 3 chimney fires that acquaintances had, were the result of burning cardboard in their stove. Obviously, poor maintenance up to that point was the root cause, but the fire never started until a large amount of non-cord wood fuel was introduced.

In general, the stove is a heater meant for its specified fuel, it's not a trash burner. I say shred them at work and leave it to them to recycle the remains.

Some have said that inks could cause a problem w/ catalysts, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I know if I had a cat to worry about, I'd err on the side of caution with it.

pen

Whenever I burned quantities of paper, I always found a lot of ash in the yard.
I hoped it wasn't still sparking some. I quit doing it.-
Kenny

You definitely do NOT want to burn anything with
colored ink on it, even the Sunday Comics. There
are acids in the colors that when released thru the
burning cycle, are extremely corrosive can eat away
at the components of your stove or insert...

DAKSY said:
You definitely do NOT want to burn anything with
colored ink on it, even the Sunday Comics. There
are acids in the colors that when released thru the
burning cycle, are extremely corrosive can eat away
at the components of your stove or insert...

Interesting. When we bought the stove the installer told me never to use newspaper to start the fire, but they were a few hours late (thus making ME late) so I didn't bother to ask why (I had firestarters, so it was a non-issue). Later though, I thought about it and couldn't figure out what the problem with it would be.

i use newspaper to start my fires, but never use the glossy sale ad's. i allways thought getting hold of a bag full of shredded paper would be good starter fuel.

Most coated paper (the glossy kind) is at best 50% clay and fillers. It creates a lot of ash. Even photocopier paper has a lot fillers. News paper is mostly fiber and burns well. Unless someone is burning 100% paper, its not going to be much of an issue.

My wood boiler is a bottom grate design, the only starter that works very well is newpaper rolled up into loose tubes and inserted under the grate. Birch bark also works pretty well but I mostly save that for my woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.