Red creosote/coals in flue pipe, is this a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tehbeast87

Feb 19, 2015
Maryland
Hello all,

New to the forums and wood burning in general. I have done as much research as possible but cannot figure out if what my stove is doing is normal. It's a 1980 Frontier in the corner of my basement. The flue extends out of the top about 2 feet before making a 90 degree turn into the corner of the wall. From there it goes back about 6 feet, turns left slightly, then connects to the chimney. Sometimes when I am first starting a fire I get a good burn going and I notice red hot creosote or coals inside of the flue. I can see them because the 90 degree elbow that's connected to the straight pipe has a slight separating due to a crease running down the center of the straight pipe. I have it swept up to 2 times per year depending on how often we have to burn. Air flow seems good, no black smoke or debris coming out of the top of the chimney. Only white/light gray smoke at times, sometimes just heat you can see. Is it normal to have red hot debris of any kind in the flue? Should I be worried? When I do see the debris the stove is usually louder than normal and pulling more air. However, it isn't anything near a train noise that I've heard being described as a chimney fire. I appreciate any info on this and can provide more clarification if needed. Thanks!

You are probably burning low for too long forming a coating in the connector pipe and probably chimney as well. By that I mean closing the air intake too far or closing pipe damper too far to prolong overnight burns. Do you have a thermometer on the pipe?
It shouldn't be loud, it's drafting that hard with too much heat in the flue. You should be able to slow it down closing air intakes if there are no other leaks into stove or pipe. After it does that, if there is ash in the pipe, you're igniting a thin layer of creosote.
When burned clean, you should be able to clean once mid season, burning 24/7. But that will depend on your chimney construction and size as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.