RED DEVIL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Years ago my father used to shake a little of these granules into the fire. Even though he had the chimney cleaned every spring, he used to say-"just to be on the safe side". Okay, so I bought a shaker of (super sweep) cant buy red devil here anymore. I put a couple of tablespoons in the fireplace every other week. But I`m wondering if it will harm my 3 year old stainless steel liner? It seems to me that the old pot-belly stove we had in the store just had a metal chimney? And this is so long ago, that I don`t know if it caused any harm or not? Yes, we have our chimney cleaned every July by a certified sweep. :p I just knew that one of you would pose that question. Any thoughts on this?

There are several posts on creosote cleaners here, give a search for various opinions. Here's a link for starters:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10876/

The best advice I can give is to burn good dry wood properly using an interior chimney. Then there is no need to add anything and still have peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.