Red Elm Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
Is Red Elm also known as Slippery Elm?:rolleyes:

Yes.

That's the main name used among arborists & forestry professionals.

The scientific name of the tree is Ulmus rubra. Rubra means red, but it is also called Slippery Elm supposedly because the inner bark is slimy and was eaten to prevent scurvy. Someone here should give the bark a taste and let us know if you feel a little less scurvy afterward.

I just recently finished splitting over a cord of it.
Yep, the bark oozes a gooey, clear, jelly-like substance.
Sorry, I have no desire to taste it.

Cheers

I just burned about a cord & a half of it this season. Not bad wood at all. It was waaay easier to split than American Elm is supposed to be. That inner bark is a bit messy when it dries out & flakes off in little ribbons. And I have eaten some. Not from my firewood, but Slippery Elm lozenges are a good old-timey remedy for sore throats!

Someone here should give the bark a taste and let us know if you feel a little less scurvy afterward.
I would do that but all the Red Elm I've taken is already bark-less. :)
I just burned about a cord & a half of it this season. Not bad wood at all. It was waaay easier to split than American Elm is supposed to be
Agreed...burn pretty nicely, gives off good heat. I split some of the stuff I had by hand; Not as easy to split as some, but not too hard...smaller, straight pieces weren't anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.