Red Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timusp40

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2010
Lake Orion, Michigan
Called a local tree service company and asked if they could put me on the list for wood that their customers did not want. To my surprise, they called this week and offered free wood as long as I took everything and cleaned up the site. So I figured gas up the pickup and go for it. It took all day, but I got Pine (had to take everything), Oak, Walnut and what I think is Red Elm. In the past all of the Elm that I have had was just plain miserable to split. Not this stuff. Still a little frozen, but splits pretty good. Couple of pictures here. The Oak was up to 23" in diameter, had to roll it up on the pickup. No splitter, so I'll be working on these for awhile.
Tim

Attachments

• DSCF2944.jpg
    DSCF2944.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 519
  • DSCF2942.jpg
    DSCF2942.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCF2940.jpg
    DSCF2940.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 352
Tim, that is some good wood! Don't worry, that oak will split nicely.

That looks like a decent score. Sure you want to set the precedent of cleaning up the trash, though? :)
Pine in the first pic? What is that in the last pic, White Oak, Maple? If you can post close-up pics of the end grain and split of the Red Elm, I might be able to confirm the ID for you; I've cut quite a bit of it lately. I agree, it's not "just miserable" to split, it's merely "bad" to split...for this old man anyway. I mostly save it for the power splitter. I love burning it though, it seems to be a notch above the soft Maples and Cherry.

I have processed and burned alot of red elm. I like it. Yes it can be real narly and stringy but you won't regret it in the stove.

Here are a couple more pictures. A couple of guys thought is was Mulberry not Red Elm. The other two are Oak with distinctly different bark. One pretty smoothj and the other really ridgey and deep. Guess you guys can tell I'm still learning tree ID. And about the clean up, all He asked was that I take all the wood. No brush clean up.

Attachments

• DSCF2949.jpg
    DSCF2949.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCF2948.jpg
    DSCF2948.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCF2947.jpg
    DSCF2947.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 263
timusp40 said:
Here are a couple more pictures. A couple of guys thought is was Mulberry not Red Elm. The other two are Oak with distinctly different bark. One pretty smoothj and the other really ridgey and deep. Guess you guys can tell I'm still learning tree ID. And about the clean up, all He asked was that I take all the wood. No brush clean up.
Red Mulberry might be a good call on the first pic...I don't know it well enough to say. Not Red Elm though. The second pic doesn't look real Oak-y to me. That heartwood is certainly distinctive. One thing that will help ID Oak is the fact that all Oaks have medullary rays that are visible (to varying degrees) on the ends of the splits. It can be difficult to ID by the bark alone since it varies so much within the same species. I've been using the Audubon Society's Field Guide...very helpful when IDing leaves. I try to look around on the ground for leaves at this time of year, but some of those leaves could have blown in from the next county. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.