Red Headed Ash Borer Beetle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

murphyslaw1978

Jan 10, 2011
Chicago, IL
I live in northern Illinois, and I just found this bug in my house in the same room that I store my firewood in. I brought in some firewood from outside about two weeks ago. This is the first I've seen of this bug, but I'll probably be storing firewood outside from now on. I only need to find out if these things can withstand the frozen winters or not. I'm guessing they can...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 377
The bugs just keep on coming. I've not seen these bugs here but the emerald ash borer is the one that really does big damage. They have killed all of our ash trees. It is a sad thing to watch happen. For sure it has given us lots of firewood but I'd rather the trees.

You are in the EAB quarantined zone as well. Seen any of those? I don't think i've seen any ash borers here at all.

Danno, I've yet to see one of the emerald ash borers but I've surely seen the results of them having been here.

I was out splitting an ask I had to take down because it was too close to my house and saw several of those. I just thought it was some wierd bee. Dang it... I guess my 4 other ash trees are gonna have to come down . Crap... I love the trees in my yard, really thats most of the reason we bought this shoe box.

Status
Not open for further replies.