RED HOT!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
I was observing my burn, when I noticed that my front secondary tube and the underside of my baffle were literally glowing red! Is this normal? My surface temperature was only 450 degrees, but my water kettle on top was at a rapid boil. I thought I read in the manual that no part of the stove was supposed to get red hot...Was it possible that I loaded the stove too high? Or maybe it got too hot, too fast? HELP!

The inside of the stove is MUCH hotter than 450. Flames from a fire average around 1500*.

The glowing you see on the secondary tubes is normal.

Scott2373 said:
I was observing my burn, when I noticed that my front secondary tube and the underside of my baffle were literally glowing red! Is this normal? My surface temperature was only 450 degrees, but my water kettle on top was at a rapid boil. I thought I read in the manual that no part of the stove was supposed to get red hot...Was it possible that I loaded the stove too high? Or maybe it got too hot, too fast? HELP!

I wouldn't worry too much about red tubes. I've had mine glowing red before and stove temps were in check. I don't know what the tubes are made of, but they can sure withstand some intense heat.

WHEW! Thanks so much for the input. I was getting worried there. My secondaries are stainless steel, so I'm sure they can withstand some pretty high temps. Hopefully they won't warp! I don't want to know how much it costs to replace one of those!

Just wanted to say that this is the kind of thing that makes me appreciate this site. Newbie needs help. Voices of Experience chimes in. Newbie is now one step closer to being a Voice of Experience, and passing this on to others someday. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.