Red light from control box Mt Vernon Quadra Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not, like many 'words' in the English language, made up for the moment..... The correct term is boundary lubrication or the ability for an oil to remain on a surface and lubricate under high friction conditions.

I use Stihl Bar oil in my saws but I use Mobil Vactra VG30 or Harig Way oil on the machine slideways in the shop.

Hopefully your new CA unit shows up.
I stand corrected! Thanks, I don't know where else than on this forum I would have learned that! I must admit, although I realize you will be thoroughly disgusted, that I don't actually own a chain saw, in fact I am a little afraid of them. It may have something to do with a story my father came home with late one evening, when I was a kid. He was a surgeon, and we were living in Amos, Abitibi (northern Quebec) for about 3 years, logging country. So one night, two guys started up their 4-foot chainsaws, loaded them still running into the back of their pick-up truck and went to settle a score with some other guys. Crazy place, beastly cold. Amos probably stands for "a mosquito bit me". Anyway, no chainsaw in my basement, although I'm pretty handy with an axe!
VG30 as in 30 weight?
Sorry if these are stupid questions.
Michelle

Don't throw the old one away. When you are feeling ambitious you can pull the bearings out of it and replace them. Any bearing shop with be able to measure them for you and find a suitable replacement. Then you will have a back up on hand for an emergency. BTW you might get a little more mileage out of a synthetic lubricant.
Yes, that definitely was my plan, although I wasn't sure if I could do this myself. They don't look like they are press fit into the motor, and it would be good for me to try. If all else fails, then I'll take to a shop, but it would be cool to be able to get the bearings out myself on my kitchen counter. Without installing a vice!
Great idea, the synthetic oil. Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try that next. Maybe it won't attract so much dust and cat hair either.
Cheers,
Michelle

Don't throw the old one away. When you are feeling ambitious you can pull the bearings out of it and replace them. Any bearing shop with be able to measure them for you and find a suitable replacement. Then you will have a back up on hand for an emergency. BTW you might get a little more mileage out of a synthetic lubricant.

The old one is probably junk because it's nigh on impossible to remove a heat baked on CA fan from the armature shaft. I've seen it done but's rare to get one of in one piece. I got one off after a prolonged soaking in a bowl of WD40, like a month of soaking and then it still took some heat on the hub to get the set screw out.

I understand using OEM, I in fact thought I had ordered a Fasco but a Rotom was sent and hopefully it is okay. The irony is that Rotom is Canadian, your country, lol, and you are waiting for a motor from the U.S.

I understand using OEM, I in fact thought I had ordered a Fasco but a Rotom was sent and hopefully it is okay. The irony is that Rotom is Canadian, your country, lol, and you are waiting for a motor from the U.S.

Thats 'World Class Manufacturing' aka: Buy from the least expensive source to make the most profit and hell with the end user.

Thats how it works today.

So far so good after a week of running. I was not disappointed in the physical motor, it seems well built and they seem to be a decent company from my research after the fact. Fasco is the OEM and a well known motor but I don't know where they are made. It would be interesting to hear from the OP what motor was sent to her and where was it made.
Full disclosure so as not to give a false impression: After reading the add for the replacement motor it does not actually say it is OEM but a direct replacement.

Interesting, another layer of complexity to the maintenance manual. I did not know there was a Canadian company also. I'm intrigued about the motor that's in there now: it just gives 119354-00, 120 v, 60 hz, 1.8 amp. Would it be written Fasco anywhere? Will post info re new motor when it arrives at any rate. Glad your canadian motor is running and is quiet, and hope it stays that way. Should you ever need to return it however, I'm sure the company would be very polite about it. I've noticed that here, we steal with a smile instead of a gun!

My original has Fasco label on it, there should be some manufacturer reference you would think.
"I've noticed that here, we steal with a smile instead of a gun!"
Are you sure you are not in DC? Would rather face a gun than those guys!! But they know what is best for us, lol.

So maybe my blower is not original... I don't know the history of the stove.
Yes, when faced with a loaded gun, one knows exactly who the bad guy is. When robbed with a smile, moreover by someone one chose/voted for (ex. government, supplier, partner, etc), although you still knows who the bad guy is, you feel like a fool...

Hello StMar,
Just wanted to close the loop re exhaust blower. The new one is an american Fasco, but it didn't specify where it was manufactured. The old one is a Jakel. Interestingly, the Jakel part number (11934-00) is actually printed on the Fasco label, so I am not sure if Quad used them at some point in time and it happened to be the original for my particular stove or if it had been a replacement somewhere in the history of my stove. The Mt Vernon was supposedly retired in 2006, but the label on mine says Feb. 2007, so in theory it should be the AE model (which is why the specialty shop ordered the AE fan). There are some things I will probably never know, and that's okay.
I apologize for the delay in posting back; I tried to put the new exhaust in when it arrived and unfortunately, I could not get it to work, so I put it on hold for a while as life had me otherwise occupied. I put it back in today, after testing it on the "bench" with 110V and verifying that the fan did actually work. Initially, I reversed the connections to the fan thinking maybe it was different from the old one, but that did not help and she still wouldn't run. I then wired it the way I had originally, and so far, the stove is running well (and quietly!). The only difference is that today, I started it up using the highest setting on the stove so as to get as much current going to the exhaust blower as possible. That worked, and now it is at the lowest setting and still running. It has been running for 2.5 hours now, so I'm thinking it will be okay...
You were absolutely right about the decrease in noise level, and it is a most welcome change to have it so quiet in here now!
Hope your canadien motor is still spinning for you,
Thanks for your kind thoughts,
Michelle

Quickly scanned your thread - glad to hear you are burning with the new fan. Good folks here will give you info and tips that they have learned along the way in their years of burning.

Glad to hear about the CO detector installed ... Hubby is a career fire fighter (now Chief). We have interlinked smoke detectors too so everyone in the house gets the wake-up call (upstairs and down).

PS - Fire extinguisher just in case? Should be in the room with the stove but near the entry doorway...

I keep an extinguisher by my bed in case I wake up a little late for the fire. I've got 4 of them spread around.

I keep an extinguisher by my bed in case I wake up a little late for the fire. I've got 4 of them spread around.
Yes, looking at your avatar, I can see where you are coming from and I wholeheartedly agree!;)

Last edited:
Quickly scanned your thread - glad to hear you are burning with the new fan. Good folks here will give you info and tips that they have learned along the way in their years of burning.

Glad to hear about the CO detector installed ... Hubby is a career fire fighter (now Chief). We have interlinked smoke detectors too so everyone in the house gets the wake-up call (upstairs and down).

PS - Fire extinguisher just in case? Should be in the room with the stove but near the entry doorway...
Hi Lake Girl,
Congrats to the hubby for the promotion, and yes, I agree that fire extinguishers are important, as well as their location. You sound like you have a great system in place for smoke detection. Mine involves a garden hose, strong survival instincts and a minimal fear of dying. For now. I know it can be improved upon.
Michelle
PS: Galeairy is a lake...

Hi Lake Girl,
Yes, most of Galeairy is in Algonquin, but not all. The nicest part is in the park though, and there may be more pines than up north but it must be quite similar to you with dark, deep waters, lovely when nice out, powerful in the storm. Keeps things in perspective! I hope I won't be heating until May... winter is not quite gone yet, but it is no longer dangerous so it's just a matter of waiting it out. The drama is done. Personally, I'm somewhat relieved!
Keep burning under control,
M

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.